Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Share your dogs pregnancy.

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by MollyBaby, Jul 27, 2018.

?

Was your dogs pregnancy planned.

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. MollyBaby

MollyBaby PetForums Newbie

My Molly girl is 40 days pregnant. And doing so well. She mated on the 18th of June. This will be her first litter. She is a miniature Jack Russell. She was producing a veryyyy small amount of milk about 5days ago but is now producing a slight bit more. She's very clingy at the moment but doing well. I felt a small flutter last night though it was so faint it's hard to tell. She has mated with another Jack Russell. We are so excited

Attached Files:

2. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

Nice dog! How old is she?
    How big is she? There is no such thing as a miniature jack Russel so I am a bit worried that if the dad is standard or even on the large side pups could be a bit big for her. It really depends how small she actually is and how big dad is. They usually recommend similar sized or smaller male pairings only for this reason. Hopefully due to them being the same breed however there won’t be big problems. It just depends on how their sizes relate to one another,
    Are you breeding to keep a pup? :)

noushka05, O2.0, Happy Paws2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am surprised she is producing milk this early. It could well be a false pregnancy so might be an idea to get her scanned to make sure she is pregnant.

Northpup and BlueJay like this.
  4. MollyBaby

The Jack Russell that she is bred with is the slightest bit bigger. But the vet has told me she will be fine as its a bare inch bigger. She is getting her second ultrasound today to try and see if we can see how many puppies we will have. And yes we will be keeping one of her pups as she's a gorgeous gentle soul as is her mate.

5. MollyBaby

We had a scan early and they figured she was but she is going for another scan today to be sure. I was worried about her milk production also.

Blitz likes this.
  6. MollyBaby

Molly girl relaxing

Attached Files:

7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

This.

I never had a pregnant bitch produce milk until her pups were born.

It does sound more like a false pregnancy.

8. MollyBaby

She is producing very small amount she's not dripping she has roughly two weeks to go so I'm concerned. I've had dogs lactate a week before whelping but not two weeks

9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Is she a Chihuahua cross?

10. MollyBaby

No she is just a dainty girl. We knew the breeder we got her from. I'm just hoping her pups aren't too big and that's why she's producing milk thinking she is further along. We has started getting her whelping box ready..just anxious to see how her scan goes today

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

You said she was 40 days which means she has over 3 weeks to go and you said she started producing milk 5 days ago so in fact she has been lactating 4 weeks before her due date which is very odd. Fingers crossed she is just an odd one and is in fact pregnant.

12. MollyBaby

Yes I'm surmising on the date she's roughly 40 days the vet said he can't tell for certain that's why she's having another scan today. I'm hoping she hasn't lost the pups or the vet was incorrect..

13. Northpup

Ah okay. It’s just she does seem small and you mentioned you bought her from a breeder who sold her as a “mini” is she definately full jrt? Doesn’t matter now really as it’s only the size difference that could be the issue.
    As long as the stud is only slightly bigger you are fine, I would be concerned otherwise that she wouldn’t be able to whelp and would need a C sec. Did the vet manage to tell you how many pups? Good you’re getting another ultrasound os you can be sure.
    How old is she? Hope all goes well :)

14. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

There is no such thing as a 'Miniature' Jack Russell.

It has been common practise for those wanting to breed 'Minis' or 'Teacups' to cross Chihuahua in, to bring down the size.

noushka05, Burrowzig, O2.0 and 4 others like this.
  15. MollyBaby

I think she may we 1/4 cross. She has just turned 6. We are also concerned over perhaps a c section. He thinks there is 3-4. We are getting the second ultrasound to also see is the pups are measuring ok for her. But he wasn't concerned previously. The stud height size wasn't much bigger though he was a broader dog she's quiet dainty.

16. MollyBaby

I believe her mother was a Chihuahua cross. So that would make her 1/4. Height wise she is about the same as the stud. Though he would be a broader dog

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

do let us know what the scan shows

18. MollyBaby

I surely will. I'm concerned that she may be further along that previously thought. As her appetite has decreased slightly. Which in my previous females always happened when she was further on. But the scan should tell.

Northpup likes this.
  19. Northpup

Okay then, at 6 she is pretty old to be having w first litter and she may struggle to whelp anyway. Hope all goes well at vets

Owned by a dog and Lurcherlad like this.
  20. MollyBaby

Just curious on your opinions do you think she looks further along than I expected due to her symptoms etc. First picture is her currently and second is before she mated.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice