Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Share info quite sad....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by momentofmadness, Jun 30, 2010.

1. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Ok I just wanted to share someinfo with you guys....

My old neighbour who still lives next door to my Ex bought a staffie pup a good few months ago.... It supposedly had papers etc to say it was a staffie.

She bought it from someone in stockport..

Anyways My ex was talking to her yesterday and the kids were messing with her dog, My ex told her it wasn't a staffy way to tall and the wrong head.... She said it is I have the papers.. so she went and got them..

The papers were National Kennel Club.... It was like a photocopy and some of the writing was in pen on there..
    My ex pointed out to her that they aren't KC papers, and he thought her dog was a pitbull... Now I am not against these breeds, But this lady has been having alot of problems with this pup re behaviour.. It growls at her alot she struggles to get it to do as its told.. It does get walked plenty she isn't stupid and she has had a staffie before....

So he said if I was you I would go to the vets and have er checked over just incase she had any underlying prob for this mild aggresion....

Anyway she went the vets today and the vet advised he believed this dog was a pitbull and she had two choices... She could have the dog PTS there and then and sign to say it was destroyed or he could ring the police and the dog would be taken off her and kept in a pound till the police decide what should be done with it....

Now I am just wondering what you guys would have done....

Me personally would have rang the police my self and explained the situ and handed over all the false documents....

And let the police go and see the person who bred this dog.. She paid over £300.00 for the dog believing it had KC papers....

2. How very sad!
    Would have tried to contact Ian Dunbar (think thats right) he has fought the corner of many 'labelled' pitbulls in the past!! and won!

3. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

What a very sad story and sorry situation. Poor dog, poor woman.
    Never heard of National Kennel Club. :confused:

4. momentofmadness

Well this woman was very upset, re the whole situ and the poor dog was pts there and then.... She had to hold it while it was done witness the whole thing and then sign for it all, on some document about Dangerous dogs or something..

I don't have much info on all the rulings re dogs....

5. The evils that men do! may they pay one day!
    DT

6. momentofmadness

I hadn't either my ex believes it must be some puppy farm in stockport... She didn't have papers for her last staffie (it was a proper little staffie though) so she was none the wiser.. Believed everything this chap had told her...

I mean if you had never seen KC papers before and didn't have knowledgable friends how is your average Joe meant to know there its not the real KC..

It just goes to show there are some wicked money making gits about...:mad:

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh god I can't believe she had to do that :( Poor woman and RIP little pup :( x

1 person likes this.
  8. momentofmadness

But I was also wondering whether a vet can virtually force you to have that done..

Was the vet thinking £100 in his pocket for euthanasia or was the vet sparing the pup from going the pound... with a very uncertain furture.
    Its kind of bugging my brain a bit since I was told....

9. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

I think she should call the police anyway. It is illegal I think to breed these dogs, let alone sell them describing them as a non-dangerous breed and charge a fairly hefty wack for.

It wont help this lady at all, but it may help stop it happening to someone else.

10. And to reply again!
    There is NO way on this earth I would have had the dog pts! I would have fought to the end! changing my vet if need be!! IF she ever gets a dog again I hope she uses a different practise!

RIP sweet dog
    DT

11. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I'd probably go for the PTS option... Heard so many horrible things about the condition the dogs who are taken and held are kept in. It *seems* very little get released and from having that perspective I think I may have gone down the PTS option. I don't know of Ian Dunbar but if I did I would probably go along that route, but not knowing much about these things I think I would fear the short life the dog may have when taken by police, and how that life may end/progress.

At the same time I couldn't sign papers saying it was a dangerous dog. If I took it to the vets in the first place I'd have lied and said it was a staffy x boxer or something on purpose. But in her situation I think I may well have done the same, I get the impression she had no knowledge of things like what can be done and how to appeal getting your dog back. I don't think I could forgive myself if I had it PTS but in her situation (assuming she doesn't know Ian Dunbar/much about dangerous dogs) I think I may have done the same...

12. momentofmadness

I hear what ya saying Hun... I would have called the pollice myself... And thought me way out of the vets....

I hope if she gets another dog she gets help to find one...

My ex has Ziggy english bull x staff he said people have stopped him with it.. But to me I can see both breeds in it straight away..

13. momentofmadness

Seen as this little dog was just her pet and she believed it was a staffy with papers then she wouldn't really need toknow who this guy was...

14. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

I would contact police show false papers, im not sure what vet did was right tho :(

15. 6pack

6pack PetForums Newbie

There Pitbull is not a recognised breed here in the UK.
    All the vet can inform is that he believes it to be of pitbull type.
    If she calls the police herself it could be registered on the exempt list, it would need to be tattooed and there are certain control orders she would have to follow. But they would take the puppy away while this was done. Some cases have taken nearly 2 years to be finalised.
    I can put you in contact with some of the magnificent folks that deal with these sort of cases if it is any help.

16. momentofmadness

CHeers for that.. unfortunately the deed has been done.. So if I was her now I would be going down the line of the police and getting the so called breeder into trouble...

I can't understand why people even want to breed dogs that will look like pitbulls... Its just cruel on the dog, giving them an uncertain life before they are even born..

17. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

live in stockport,met a lad on the vale with a beautiful pitt,only young,going on about his mates bitch,they were planning to breed them,seen the bitch walking round with its owner,no idea where either live,i did try to make him see sense and get it neutered,microchipped then if he did get pulled over it would be seen he was being a responsible owner and hopefully save the dogs life,beautiful happy dog,gorgeous chocolate and white,the other is a wishy washy red/fawn brindle type,both have the red/liver noses,sadly they will probably breed them,the estates full of staffs,probably all related now,we had akitas a few years back,everyone seemed to have one or 2 :(
    this is so sad for all concerned,that poor dog,i wouldnt have had it destroyed though,they could have been wrong,it could have been a baddly bred staff type,it should have been left to experts to decide and i dont consider vets experts on breeds,not when my first ever solid blue neapolitan mastiff was put on record as a grey great dane cross

18. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Seems like this woman was bullied into it by the vet. How old was the dog? I'm fairly confident that the police don't identify a dog until it's 9 months old.

19. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Wow what a shame people felt the need to interfer in this womans business and send her on this route of distruction. I'm sure left alone she'd have managed the dogs behaviour and been none the wiser to it's supposed heritage. :( What a world we live in that one day she was perfectly happy with her staffie and the next she's having it PTS because someone thought it was a pit.

20. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

The evils that men do! may they pay one day! - ditto

This has really shocked me. It all happened so suddenly!

I know I'm a big softee but I shed a tear for that poor little doggie.

What nasty horrid people could nuture a life that they knew was doomed and then make money - I hope they rot in hell!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice