Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shar Pei

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GemCheri, Aug 19, 2009.

1. GemCheri

GemCheri PetForums Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here:w00t:
    We recently lost our baby at 10 years old :( He was the most handsome english setter in the world.:001_wub:
    We have always had a love for Shar pei and wanted one when our boy was still around for company.
    Anyhoo we still would love one and will be looking for one in a few months time, i was just wanting to know about peoples first hand experiences with this breed as all the reading in the world can't beat a true Pei lovers advice.

Thanks in Advance,
    Gemma xxx

2. BrodiesMummy

BrodiesMummy PetForums Member

Hi and Welcome!!!

See your not too far from me. Shar Pei's are gorgeous and are on my wish list of dogs to own, sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly :)

3. Nicci

Nicci Guest

A cousin of mine shows them I have sat their dogs while they have been on holiday.

You will need to be careful who you go to concerning this breed don't buy out the free ads, papers..etc (go only to repuatable breeders, I can put you in touch with a couple of reputable breeders if you like?)

They are easy to housetrain and puppies are usually very clean from the age of four weeks old

They can be difficult and stubborn dogs so expect it but apart from that very nice dogs :)

#3 Nicci, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
  4. GemCheri

Thank you, Yea i adore them have done from a young age aswell as great danes, tibetan mastiffs etc but feel shar pei are perfect for me. Im out in Penicuik so pleanty of woodlands and fields for walkies which i really miss doing with jasper.

That would be fantastic! I'm still saving up for the right , healthy pup but when the time comes im willing to travel upto 300 miles possibly further for 'the one'.
    Im used to stubborn pooches, jasper had selective hearing :rolleyes: And also worked with a mad lab on his obedience for my friend, so i dont mind just keeps you on your toes lol.

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Make sure you get one without too many wrinkles and the line haven't had to have their eyelids altered. I love shar-peis but they're just a little messed up. They do make ridiculously cute puppies though all those wrinkles. They can be stubborn and dominant and even though they're like 40lbs are pretty powerful so they do need a lot of training when puppies.

6. GemCheri

Thanks, this is all giving me a better idea of the shar pei even though i have book and read loads on the net. I still feel the shar pei would be the right dog for me, she would get loads of one on one training as i only work part time.

7. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Hi Gemma and welcome :)

I don't have any experience with Shar Pei's but they are certainly beautiful dogs. Good luck with finding your baby :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice