Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shar Pei Muzzle Deflate

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by CooperTheDog, May 11, 2017.

1. CooperTheDog

CooperTheDog PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

Recently my Shar Pei, Cooper, had a fever. And then a couple of weeks later I noticed that his muzzle is deflated. I've been reading up on the causes of muzzle deflate etc, and I'm taking him to the vet today, but I thought I'd pop in here to ask a couple of questions.

Firstly, does anyone have experience with muzzle deflate with their Pei? Did their muzzle return to normal?

Secondly, I read that giving him supplements to promote hyaluronan production would help him regain his muzzle. Does anyone have any insight or thoughts on that?

Thanks so much!

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There is a condition in the Shar Pei called Familial Shar pei fever which is the first thing I thought of when you said he had a fever, I wasn't though sure about any symptoms of muzzle swelling with it, but on checking it is a symptom of Shar Pei Fever too.

if your pet has a fever and swollen joints, it is highly recommended to visit the veterinarian promptly in order to investigate the reason for the illness. Other symptoms that may accompany an episode of Familial Shar-Pei Fever are as follows:
    • Swollen, painful muzzle
    • Swelling in wrists and lips, which may feel hot
    • Reluctance to move
    • Pain in the abdomen
    • Vomiting
    • Diarrhea
    • Shallow breathing
    • A stance that shows obvious discomfort, such as an arched back
    He does need to see a vet as soon as possible, so they vet can make a proper diagnosis and ensure he gets the correct treatment.

3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

A deflated muzzle is quite common in Shar-Pei and is usually due to illness, stress or being given certain NSAIDS. My Pei girl had a deflated muzzle after her entropion surgery and spay. Don't worry though because the muzzle will go back to normal, given time.

As @Sled dog hotel has said a swollen muzzle can be, but isn't always, a symptom of FSF. The most common symptoms are hot swollen hocks together with an elevated temperature, which is why a digital thermometer and a jar of vaseline is an absolute must in every Pei owners medical chest. I also keep a supply of Meloxidyl for bringing down a temperature, although neither the Pei I have now nor my previous one have ever suffered from FSF. FSF is a chronic disease and there's basically no treatment apart from giving Colchicine, and unless the dog has a very high fever which requires IV's for hydration most owners learn to care for their dogs at home.

There is a supplement called HyVitality which was specially developed for Pei by Dr Linda Tintle who's regarded as the world's leading authority on Shar-Pei health. Unfortunately it's only available in the US. I make sure my Pei has a good quality grain free diet and give her SF-50 supplement which is high in vitamins and minerals.

Please let us know what the vet said and whether Cooper's recent fever was FSF or not..

#3 Magyarmum, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Sled dog hotel and kimthecat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice