Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shar pei Entropian Surgery -- Please help!! :(

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Erica Holland, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Erica Holland

Erica Holland PetForums Newbie

Hey ya'll :)
    I have a 5yr old bearcoat Shar Pei named Baby. She is the literal cutest little lion / fur hippo / teddy bear. I got her at the Boulder Humane Society after her and a bunch of her family & friends were rescued from a hoarder breeder. All of them were not in the best condition.

She had just had her entropion surgery and been spayed right when I got her, she looked super scary for the first couple weeks before she got her eye stitches out.

Unfortunately, I've noticed her vision has been getting worse and she is acting scared and disoriented and tripping over things, and her eyes have been super goopy and drippy. We went to a few vets and ended up at an animal ophthalmologist, who said we had to do another entropion surgery because the first one was not totally successful.

Does this sound normal? Has anyone else dealt with this, having to redo the surgery? It just makes me so sad to put her through that again. She's my sweet lady and she's been through so much in her previous life, and then the health conditions I've been working with in the aftermath (such as incontinence from having so many puppies). I suppose it's making me emotional and it's crazy expensive so I wanted to make sure I'm not jumping the gun sending her back in for that.

Thank you, everyone!!!

2. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Firstly, well done for rescuing your lovely girl. She will now hopefully be able to forget her horrendous past and live a happy life with you.
    Our bull mastiff George had entropion surgery the middle of last year. Our vet did say she may have to do some more at some point but that's because he is still a pup. He's only 18 months old now and so being a large breed is only just about fully grown. It does look now, as he's just started to get a little bit of a runny eye issue, that sadly he may well have to have more surgery:( we are going to try putting him on a bit of a diet first though, not that he's overweight but to try and help reduce his squishy wrinkles.
    The sister of our other older mastiff also suffered with entropion, and her owner put her on a diet, she wasn't overweight but losing a few pounds wasn't going to hurt her, and because she lost a little weight the wrinkles on her face became just slightly smaller and this improved her condition to the point where she actually didn't need surgery. :)
    So the answer to your question is, that yes sometimes it does have to be done more than once. :(

JoanneF and Erica Holland like this.
  3. Erica Holland

Erica Holland PetForums Newbie

Oh my gosh thank you so much for your insight! She has gained a few pounds since I've had her but she's in the range of being able to drop a few so perhaps that would help! I really appreciate that, thank you :)

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Also tagging @Magyarmum who has loads of shar pei experience.

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  5. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Hi Erica

What a beautiful Peigirl! And thank you so much for rescuing her from a terrible situation and may you both have a long and happy life together!

To put your mind at rest, it's quite normal for entropion surgery to be done more than once. My own Pei had 5 tackings from the age of 4 months old until she was 12 months old and her skull had finished growing when she had the final surgery.

If I were you I'd have the surgery done sooner than later because apart from her distress at not being able to see properly, her eyelashes could be scratching the cornea of her her eyes causing ulcers. (I know another expense:eek:)

I doubt whether losing weight will make any difference, but what might have happened is that all the stress she's been through and any antibiotics she's been given, have caused her muzzle to deflate. which has exacerbated the problem with her eyes.

http://www.cspca.com/health/deflated_muzzle.asp

Deflated Muzzle, by Dr. Jeff Vidt

Hope that helps

Please let us know how you get on!

Bugsys grandma and niamh123 like this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Yes my girl who isn't full pei has had to have 2 entropion surgeries. The first on both eyes when she was younger (spayed at the same time) then again on her right eye after it became obvious after another year that she needed it. Dogs grow and change and unfortunately when they are under anaesthetic the vet can't see exactly how much needs removing, plus they tend not to want to take too much out or you can cause ECTropion which is the opposite issue!
    They heal up quickly in my experience, it looks nasty but as long as they aren't rubbing their face it heals well.

Bugsys grandma and Magyarmum like this.
  7. Amrit shergill

Amrit shergill PetForums Newbie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice