Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Shar pei behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Mark lewis, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Mark lewis

Mark lewis PetForums Newbie

I'm at my wits end I have a 5 year old male shar pei and a 6 year old they both used to stay in the conservatory at nite for bed time recently the younger one will not stay out there they have there own exit to the garden from conservatory 24/7 so there not shut in the younger one will not go out at bedtime now and if I force him out there he self harms by dragging his nose on the carpet to the point of bleeding while the other one just sits on there sofa and watches I've stood and watched him do this he has been for a brain scan because I was worried but he got the all clear can anyone help

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Could something have frightened him?

If he has previously been happy to stay in the Conservatory, it would seem that, for some reason, he doesn't feel safe in there.

Could he not sleep elsewhere in the house?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Mark lewis

Mark lewis PetForums Newbie

Tried that he just moans all nite

4. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'd say that something has spooked him. Is he only like this at bedtime or is he reluctant to go out of the conservatory during the day?

It's very difficult to advise you not knowing the set up of your house and seeing the body language and overall behaviour your Peiboy is displaying. It might help to spend some time observing both dogs closely to see if you can identify what's triggering this behaviour. In the meantime don't force him to go out because if my experience of Pei is anything to go by, you'll only make him worse!

If it's any consolation my previous Pei always refused to walk past the village cemetery. It didn't matter how far away we were, as soon as she caught sight of the headstones, she'd either dig her heels in and refuse to budge or turn tail and head straight back home. I never did discover why she was reluctant to walk past them.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

5. simonereis

simonereis PetForums Newbie

I have a 10 month old male Shar pei and a 10 year old male Shar pei and the puppy will not stop intimating him to the point where the puppy jumped on my pei and brought him down though he was trying to mount him
    I can't relax in my own home I'm scared they will go into full blown fight
    Please can anyone help

6. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Stop worrying that it will go into a full blown fight. I doubt whether the puppy was trying to mount your older dog, jumping and grabbing your opponent is part of the Pei style of playing!

If you're not used to it Pei play fighting looks quite horrendous, but is never as bad as it seems. My Peigirl is twice the size and weight of my Schnauzer and he often completely disappears under her and all you'll see are 4 black legs waving in the air. but I've never know her hurt him! And as he always comes back for more he obviously doesn't mind being sat on!

As you have one dog that is quite an oldie though, I would limit the time you allow your puppy to pester him as it's just not fair when at his age all he probably wants is a quiet life. Does he have a space in your house he can call his own? My Pei will go into my bedroom where she has her own bed.

What do you do when the puppy starts to get a bit OTT with your older Pei? How do you stop him? When I think my Pei is getting a bit too rough with her smaller brother, she's told to "Leave him" in a firm voice. Usually she'll stop immediately but if she doesn't, she gets a tap on the shoulder - not intended to hurt her just to get her attention! Basically you'll have to find out what works best for your two.

Best of luck

The video isn't of my dogs but one I found on youtube which will give you some idea what a typical Pei play fight looks like!

7. simonereis

Thank you for getting back
    He's consently in my older ones face if he isn't doing that he bullies him from is bed in living room
    We have told him off he's had a tap hrs been kicked out the back my older can go to the bedroom as he sleeps on the bed with me and hubby
    The puppy is my son's and sleeps in is room

8. simonereis

How can I stop my 2 Shar pei going for each other when anybody knocks my front door it's a nightmare
    My oldie pei has gone for me
    Gets to the point where I will go back way to answer the door

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice