Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

shall i let my kitten outside?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Dee23232, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Dee23232

Dee23232 PetForums Junior

hi everyone,

I have a 17 week old cat called sky(some people know him:)). anyway, the problem is, i have a small extension which has a window which is quite short. I used to let sky out of that window so he could play in the garden, and the garden is quite big, we used to have a litter tray indoors and a quite big soil place at the back of my garden for sky just in case. Now, i let sky out of the window like every single day now and just keep the windows open all day, he doesnt use the litter tray indoors but uses the soil place in the garden, when i dont open the window, he just stands in front of the window and hisses. now he started to go into the gardens next door. My question is, shall i let him outdoors or shall I make him stay indoors?

-dee23232

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

It depends on you, if you want him to be an outdoor cat let him out. If you're worried you could try putting him on a harness, build a run, or keep him inside :)

3. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

if he wants to be out let him out.
    when i got Sheldon id planned on keepin him in but his instincts were too high. everytime the door opened he'd be out. so i let him out and i dnt regret it. he loves bein out and it takes some energy out of him.

4. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

All my babies go out in the garden, even Bella whos 8 weeks old.

My garden is secure and they dont venture far but I personally believe that every living creature should have fresh air :D Think how you'd be stuck indoors 24/7....

5. gemmstoned

gemmstoned PetForums Newbie

Now Skys been outside I'd say continue this way. If they've never had a taste of the outside world I don't suppose its the same but if they love it out there I'd feel cruel keepnig them in. I have 2 kittens and they love it outside and can't wait to get out everyday, they attack every stray leaf and pounce through the grass and love to scratch and stretch up the big tree in our garden, which I must prefer to them using anything inside the house :eek:

We also have a soil/bark patch at the back of the garden where they do most of their wees and poos when they can get out, I haven't got a cat flap yet for when I am work - I keep them inside during they day rather than shut them out completely and I can't wait to get the cat flap when they are a bit older and have been neutred and they hopefully I can do away with the litter tray altogether! No more stinky poos in the kitchen for me :D

xxx

6. Dee23232

Dee23232 PetForums Junior

thanks to all of you for the fast replies :D, i really appreciate it.
    I think ill let him go out :D

an again, thanks for the help :)

-dee23232

7. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

jst a quick tip. if your a little worried bout him comin home and things, i always give sheldon a special treat (somethin he only gets wen he comes inside) everytime he comes in. he now runs up the stairs into the kitchen lol

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I never let any of my cats outside until they have been neutered.

I find they are slightly more wary, and tend to wander less.

9. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

Hiya, I had exactly the same debate with myself a few months ago. We moved into a house from a flat and the kits were dying to get out (both neutered etc) eventually we let them. They stayed close at first then would vanish for a short time but always came back when called. As time went on they went further and stayed away longer, everytime a dog barked or a car passed I was outside worried sick.
    Maybe I just don't have the nerves for it but anyway, unfirtunately my youngest was hit and killed by a car right outside our house, its not even a busy road, its a service road only used by people who stay in the street.
    It was probably the cats fault as she had no road sense and I often saw her streak accross the road without a second thought but needless to say we are devasted and since then there is no way on earth my babies will ever be allowed out of my sight!
    Tiffany since she has experienced the outside world will I hope learn to be out on a harness and extendable lead WHILE WE ARE WITH HER, the kitten won't know any different she is too young to go out as yet. We also plan on getting a third and again it will be a house cat, I just couldn't cope, I'd be a bag of nerves and I'd never forgive myself if something else happened.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice