Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

shall i crate him

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by wiccan, Jul 9, 2009.

1. wiccan

wiccan PetForums Senior

Ok ive got 2 staffies A female whose an angel and 3 years old and the problem her son whose 11mths. I work 2 days a week and i'm out off the house from 8 till 5ish sometimes half 5,i have a dog walker who takes them out between 12 and 1 for a long off lead run in the local woods.
    But covi my male is still being destructive when we are out! he can open the doors and jump the stair gates he has now started chewing the wall paper off :mad: and destroys anything that is left in his reach.
    Would it be ok to crate him from8 to 12 and then 1 to 5 with an hour walk in the middle and a walk before and after or is this to long ???
    I really dont no wot to do with him anymore and am expecting a new baby soon so dont want tcome home and find he has ripped the moses basket to pieces !

2. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

I see no reason why not.....i crate mine when i go out (though this isnt very often) and can be gone for up to 4 hours so if your coming back to let him out for an hour's run around inbetween, i don't see there being a problem. At least it will stop you worrying about whats happening at home in your absence :D

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think it sounds a very good idea, so long as he is acclimatized to the crate and not just shoved in it for the first time when you go off and leave him. It might break the destructive cycle so that it could be a short term cure. Could you set up a pen with the cage inside it so he has more space to play if he wants to. When I worked all day my dogs had a shed with a long run that they lived in. They didnt bark and they were not destructive but I found it far nicer for them. I am sure they slept most of the time but they could play or relieve themselves if they needed to.

4. wiccan

wiccan PetForums Senior

thanx for your quick replys i'm on maternty leave after next week so will use the time to get him use to the crate and being left in it 4 small amounts off time. i'm hoping it will be a short term thing as i hate to think off him caged up but its becomin very expensive to keep repairing his damage.
    If we had a garden i would have a run build we are hopin to move soon and get a garden ! and a pen wouldnt work as he would jump it lol !

He's also being neutered on friday so hoping this will calm him abit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice