Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

shadow chasing in deaf bull terrier cross

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by bertlovesedi, Jan 16, 2012.

1. bertlovesedi

bertlovesedi PetForums Member

Hi there, can anyone advise me on helping my deaf dog with his shadow/light reflection chasing? his previous fosterers thought it was funny to make him do it but this has resulted in an obsession with it. he literally head butts them and it is very distressing for him and me. any tips? i understand I have to interuppt it and redirect it but what is the best way considering he is deaf. thank you. :(

2. theothersparticus

theothersparticus PetForums Senior

I have no experience to draw on at all but could it help to turn off the specific light causing the shadow? If it's during the day, you could close the curtains and see if that distracts him enough. Has he got any reflective toys you could give him if turning off the light can distract him for a second? As I said I've no idea but it seems sad that he's been allowed to build up this obsession :(

3. bertlovesedi

bertlovesedi PetForums Member

thank you, i have tried blocking the light that causes the shadows and things but he always finds some more! it can also be anytime of day :)

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

http://www.btneuro.org/

Have a look on the above link there is a little on there as obsessive disorders can be common in bullterriers... to be honest I think a behaviourist is needed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice