Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Severe Skin Complaint

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sarahnya, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Sarahnya

Sarahnya PetForums Senior

My Chihuahua who is now 8 has had a skin complaint for a while now, she was covered in black patches which when scratched rubbed off leaving raw skin underneath exposed. These were all over her including some small spots on her belly. I took her to the vets when I noticed it getting worse, the vet looked it at it and after a bit of umming and oohing said it looked like a rare infection of the hair folicles.

Well he perscribed a 2 week course of antibiotics which did appear to clear it up but over the last couple of weeks it has come back and this evening I bathed her only to discover a bit patch of crusty black skin on her back. Anyway I scrubbed if off and to my horror a large patch of skin just slid off taking the fur with it :eek:

I'm obviously taking her back to the vet tomorrow but would be interested if anyone knows what this is as the vet didn't sound 100% sure himself to be honest!

2. What are you feeding you poor girl on? did the vet take any scrapes from the skin?

3. Sarahnya

Sarahnya PetForums Senior

Been to the vets this morning, they didn't do any skin samples but said it's definitely a skin infection of some sort probably caused by an allergy but were were pretty vague. They have perscribed more antibiotics and recommended swabbing it with salt water several times a day. They didn't seem overly concerned to be honest and said it's only a problem if it becomes full of pus which looking at it today it looks like normal skin now the redness has faded.

No idea what the allergy is, she is being fed Taste of the Wild duck with a little Wainwrights mixed in & raw meaty bones (chicken, rabbit & lamb).

She has had a similar complaint in the past but it was never this bad and always cleared up, this scared me as her fur fell out which has never happened before, it gave me visions of having a bald Chihuahua :eek:

I'm might try putting her back on Orijen only for a bit and see if that makes a difference, then grandually introduce other foods again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice