Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Severe hair loss due to overgrooming

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Biscuiteasel, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Biscuiteasel

Biscuiteasel PetForums Newbie

Dear all,
    my 12 year old cat has started licking her joints (shoulder and hip) so severely that she is getting bald on her legs (I attach some pictures).

We have asked the vet to come but they will come only in one months time. Does anyone know why she is doing this and if I can help somehow (supplements / ointments?)

We also have a move of house coming up and last time she hated it so much that she was hiding for week.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Biscuiteasel and welcome :)

I am sorry to hear about your cat's itchiness and overgrooming.

Flea bite allergy and food allergies are the most common causes of itching in cats. If she has been having flea treatment every month e.g. with an effective spot-on flea bite allergy is less likely.

The most scientific method of identifying food allergies in cats is with an elimination diet. There is a pinned thread on these boards which it may interest you to read:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/elimination-diets.509821/

With regard to the forthcoming house move my advice would be to put her on a course of Zylkene for a month, starting a week before you move. It is good at calming anxious cats.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vetoquinol...prefix=zylkene+for+cats+,prime-day,153&sr=8-5

On moving day, clear one room of the large items and then put your cat in there with her food, water, litter trays and make sure no-one goes in there apart from you until after the removal men have left. Then take the cat in her carrier by car to your new home and allocate her a safe room there while things are being unpacked.

An alternative would be to put her in a cattery for a few days while the move takes place. But I have never done that when I've moved house with cats as I feared it would disorientate them even more if they came home from a strange place (the cattery) to a different house.

I have found that the older the cat the longer it takes them to settle after a house move. The last cats I moved with were aged 11 y/old and I would say it took about a year for them to feel at ease with the new area, though they were quite well settled in the house after 6 months.

Biscuiteasel likes this.
  3. Thymian

Thymian PetForums Newbie

Is it just around the joints? This could be due to arthritis, I've heard of cats over grooming painful areas trying to relieve the pain. Plus her age would make me think this is possible
    Your vet will be able to help with this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice