Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

severe cystitis

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kittyboo, Jul 2, 2009.

1. kittyboo

kittyboo PetForums Newbie

Hello

I have had just had a very stressful week worrying about my poor kitty and I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and can put me at ease!!
    My cat has suffered from cystitis before (a few years ago). Anyway at the weekend we thought she was constipated and took her to the vet. The vet wanted to keep her in as she thought the cat may need an enema. A few hours later the vet called to say that they thought she had bladder stones. After an xray and then an operation it turned out that her bladder had crystals and gravel like sludge in it but no stones. The lining of the bladder was also very severely inflammed and bleeding. The vet sent off a tissue sample for a biopsy as we were told she nay have a tumor infiltrating the bladder lining. We were told to expect the worst. After a horrible few days the vet called earlier this evening to tell us there was no tumor cells detected!! We are obviously over the moon, however the vet told us that she has very severe cystitis and the bladder was maybe starting to erode slightly. We are to give her metacam once a day and cistaid tablets twice a day. The vet has told us that we have a long road ahead but we may be able to get the bladder back to a reasonable healthy state.
    My cat is very lazy at the minute but I put that down to heat and the fact she has had abdominal surgery a few days ago. She is eating again, going to the toilet (no straining or regular visits where nothing was happening) and she seems happy in herself.
    My cat will not drink water so I have always put water in her wet food. Sorry for the long post but has anyone got any further suggestions or has anyone gone through this before.

Attached Files:

#1 kittyboo, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Have you tried a water fountain?

3. kittyboo

kittyboo PetForums Newbie

I am going to buy one tomorrow to try that out. She does like to sit in the bathtub with the tap dribbling so I reckon I will give the water fountain a go.

4. Coraline

Coraline PetForums Member

Not sure if you're only feeding wet food or a mix of wet and dry. If you're feeding dry at all, you should stop. Dry food has way too little moisture and will make the cystitis worse. She'll be much better off on wet food only :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice