Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sever Ear Infection.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Troopers, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Troopers

Troopers PetForums Newbie

Hello guys , hope you are all doing well.

in any case , i have a question , and something im very concerned about..

I have a dog , he is about 5 years old ,and weights in about 35 pounts ,he is a mixed race.... not sure what ..

Well, he has a severe ear infection... it started about two months ago , we took him to the vet when we saw it was pretty bad, about a month and some days ago , so , he gave us some medicine and antibiotics , along with ZYMOX or something like that , well... that didnt work , we took him again , and he then gave us some pain killers , and some more antibiotics.. for another 7 days ..... well that didnt work ether , i spent 400$ just to see the other ear get infected ,so he now has both ears infected. and its pretty saddening to see him suffer...

The infections seems to be a VERY Resistant bacteria , it SMELLS BAD , i mean really bad , it stinks and it is has brownish color , mucus type of texture , and it has to be cleaned every day to avoid any spilling over his left ear.. its really sick .. im not sure what to do from here on... as when i took him to the vet , ( when he had just one ear infected ) the vet said it could be a tumor that would cost us 2000$! to remove.. which i though , wow ... but i dont think two tumors would grow in like 1 week...

I hope you guys have some suggestions and maybe antibiotics you would recommend.. i posted tow pictures , from each ear...

http://webdesignmedia.net//images/leftear.gif

http://webdesignmedia.net//images/right-ear.gif

Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Hi, welcome and sorry u r having a tough time with ur dog.
    Unfrtunately nobody can rec antib's only the vet who see's ur dog can do that.
    However looking at ur pics ur dog looks to have quite a lot of thickening of the ear canal which is a result of a long standing ear infection.
    one of the most common causes is a bacteria called pseudomonis.
    Ur best way 4ward now is to ask ur vet to do a swab of each ear to send of for culture and sensitivity. the lab would grow the bacteria and isolate it, they would then test a number of anti biotics to see which was most effective to kill it.
    This would be expensive (not as much as op) but saves u wasting moneyon ear creams and pills that will not work.
    gd lk

3. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

My collie cross, had a small grass seed in his ear and we didnt know until he started to shake his head and scratch his ears, we took him to the vets and they said he would have to be sedated to check it out as it was full of puss and oozing bad, and the smell was damn sickening too, they took him in and did what they had to do and found it was a small grass seed which had been there for a while and then got infected. Once the seed was removed and anti biotics given he was as right as rain the next day. Something so small can do so much damage....poor thing. Take him back to the vets to get check again, Hope it gets sorted.

4. Troopers

Troopers PetForums Newbie

Thanks a bunch for your feedback , i think it will be my only option to take him back to vet and do what Gesic suggested.. not sure how much it is , but i think its whats best , i tried a few natural remedies but they do not seem to be working ... as far as something inside his ear , I would doubt it , since he was infected on one , then after taking him to the vet , the other one got infected...

I do not feel confident with this particular vet.. he said it might be a tumor , didnt really sedate him to check him out more , he charged 300$ first then , called back told him the medicine he prescribed did not work... then second time gave us some other antibiotics some painkillers and charged 100$ , and..well no results whatsoever ..... i think he lacks professionalism ..so im not too sure of taking him there anymore, maybe i'll try another city...

Thank you guys !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice