UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have recently adopted two cats. They are Kitty(12-18 months) & her daughter Ruby (4-5 months). Kitty had been abandoned whilst pregnant & was living as a stray with her kittens.

We've had them for just over 2 weeks now & it's going we'll generally. Kitty is happy & confident & a very typical cat I.e everything has to be on her terms, but that's ok with us! Ruby has been very nervous & tends to hide a lot but she spends a bit more time getting to know us each day & is getting more confident. We have a 3 year old who she's wary of so it's taking time but I'm sure she'll get there.

My questions are:
How should I encourage Ruby to explore the house more? She's exclusively living upstairs & isn't keen on expanding that. So Kitty eats in the kitchen & ruby in the bedroom. I don't like having cat food in the bedroom but don't have much choice as I don't think she'd get any food if I didn't. Should I just wait?

Kitty will be ready to go outside after the recommended 4 weeks of being inside but Ruby won't. Should I let Kitty out & not Ruby? I'm worried that Kitty's bored!

Any thoughts & general tips on settling them gratefully received.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Firstly, let Ruby do her own thing. Open the doors and sit encouragingly out in the next room and speak softly to her, don't force her out.

I would advise to not let them out unless under supervision or just for short periods during the day. But otherwise I would keep her in for much longer than 4 weeks.

And as a rule on pf, we need pictures of your cats:D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.