Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

settling in help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lilylass, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

So Mia's been in her new home 4 weeks today (feels like a lifetime you have no idea how much I miss her:()

She's been doing OK but the last week has been a bit hissy / grumpy with her new slaves (think she was probably too shocked before) - its really what I expected from day 1:(

My pal has some zyklene (which I got for when she first went but she wasn't eating so never used it) so I suggested she give her that to help with Mia's stress levels

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Although I'd have her back in a heartbeat I know that I can't as she absolutely hated Archie coming in the house at all in the end & he's finally starting to come out his shell & is a lot less stressed (and its becoming obvious he was a absolutely terrified of her in the end:() and I really can't keep her shut in 1 room the rest of her life :( so we really need this home to work out

Won't be able to post again until tonight (can't log into PF at work:( but can read) but would really appreciate any help / suggestions that you can think of TIA

2. Cheryl89

Oh hun, bless her :(

I think it's natural instinct for them to be a bit hissy/grumpy at first. Before I had to rehome Poppy she had on/off days with me but obviously if the dog was about HEAVEN forbid, all hell would break loose!

I think what her new slaves are doing is right, the calming stuff, the feliway - she's probably just upset and confused but cats are usually so good with adapting to new surroundings ... does your friend have any other animals or is it just her?

Big hugs hunni, thinking of you xxxxxxxxx

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Does she eat any dry food? I know it is not the most popular food choice, but I do think the Royal canin calm food really helps....more so than Zylkene.

4. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Thanks .... I've just been speaking to my pal and it sounds as if Mia's been an absolute nightmare this past week :(

She's not ready to pack in the towel yet but I def got the undertones if things don't get better soon ..... :(

I'm going up next Saturday (26th) - haven't wanted to go before as didn't want to risk upsetting her but judging from the sounds of it, I can't really make it any worse .....

Thanks for the suggestions Paddypaws she actually loves dry and it's been a constant battle to get her to eat any wet at all :( (have kept trying as it's so much better for them & so much easier to get most meds into them that way :rolleyes:). She'll eat 1/2 pouch am & pm but that's it

She does eat RC dry (Light 40) so I'll order a bag of the Calm one and see if that helps

I take it that it's this one?

Will also get a Feliway diffuser as she doesn't have one - can anyone confirm this one is the diffuser with a bottle of the stuff to go in it included? (seems cheap compared to most I've seen!)

Any other suggestions most welcome!

Ohhh - final question (for now!) - does anyone order regularly from Medic*Animal? Just wondering how long they usually take to deliver?

#4 Lilylass, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  5. Jenny1966

Jenny1966 PetForums VIP

They both look the right ones to me, and yes it certainly looks like the feliway is complete :)

I have used this site before, but can't remember how good the delivery was :confused: I would say they would be here in time for the 26th looking at their delivery schedule.

6. kimberleyski

kimberleyski PetForums Senior

I have used medicanimal quite a bit. They are really good and take a couple of days to deliver. X

7. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Thanks - the other place I've seen both around the same price is Pet*Meds

Sure I've ordered from there before but think it was ages ago

8. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

My cat Annie (R.I.P) came to me as a rehomed cat and it took a good couple of months for her to settle in. I was so worried, she was that stressed and kept hiding under the duvet. She was a bit hissy too..When she did come out of her shell and gained confidence she was a different girl altogether..Annie was the most loving and cuddly cat, I am so glad I gave it time..

9. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Ohhhh marycat - thanks for sharing that.

I'm so worried about her and how scared she must be and think she's just been abandoned:(

I so, so hope my pal can give it enough time and that Mia starts to de-stress and settle down

She really is the most affectionate cat I've ever known and just loves being cuddled and I know she could be happy there if she gives them a chance

10. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

It just needs time. She will be scared at first and they won't be seeing the true Mia. I was at my wits end with Annie in the first few weeks but I would cut my right arm off to have her back. In the end what worked for us was to stop trying so hard, we just made sure she had a safe place to 'hide' and food and water and her own cat litter. In the end she came to us when she decided the time was right.The best things never come easy. The years with Annie were amazing and when she accepted me as mum the feeling was the absolute best ever. I really hope your friend can persevere :)

11. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Our JJ was a rehomed cat....from a house with just him, barely no human interaction and the male owner wasnt nice to him....

To a house with 3 other cats [at the time] and humans who wanted to play with him, pick him up, kiss him, hug him....love him!

At first and for a good few months he was a nasty cat, we even looked at rehoming him again cos he bullied our jenson and would bite us if we picked him up, none of us could bond with him....we cared for him but couldnt get an actual bond...we kept saying 'give it another month.....give it another month' and now, altho he still can be a bit of a bully to get his own way, he's a cuddle monster, sure he likes attention on his own terms, but he hasnt bit me [touchwood] for months now, infact he flops on me like a real ragdoll would.

I would say it took a good 6 months before we saw real improvements, sure there were small ones, but about 6 months is when it was properly noticeable.

12. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I think I might just print this off and take it next weekend!:)

Thank you again Marycat ... lovely words and Annie sounds a real character :)

I suggested to my pal tonight that she builds the cat carrier (I took Mia's stuff but only have one carrier so it was one of the few things I couldn't leave - she's ordered one the same so she has one) - leaves the door off and puts Mia's fleece blanket in it and puts it somewhere quiet in the house so that she's somewhere to escape to where she can feel safe and secure

Please everyone keep your fingers (and any paws in the house) crossed

I've ordered the food & a feliway plug in thing so will take them up next Sat when I visit

I'm sooooooo longing for a Mia cuddle - what's the betting when I go, she just bloomin' hisses at me too!:rolleyes:

13. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Def printing this off! Thanks Staysee for another positive outcome:)

14. kimberleyski

kimberleyski PetForums Senior

As others have said, it sometimes takes a long time.

When we got Dorothy she had been used for breeding and kept outside in a pen. She was petrified when we brought her home and spent weeks alternating between living behind the sofa and under the bed.

When she first used to venture out if we so much as moved an arm she'd be off again. We just let her be and made sure she had food and water. Over time she came out if her shell. Nearly a year later she is sitting on my lap right now and I've just posted a video of her chatting!

The feliway should hopefully help x

15. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

At the end of the day....each cat and each situation is different.

A month is nowhere near enough to have a cat settled in properly, unless of course it was a pedigree thats been raised properly and is chosen to match the other cats personalities etc....even then theres still a chance of clashing and things going wrong.

At the end of the day they need patience with her, if she's lashing out cos they keep picking her up, then they need to stop picking her up so much....its simple, play with her more, show her that they can be fun nice things, like you were and soon she'll come round

Youtube 'My cat from hell' and show them some of those cats, they'll soon see they have it easy PLUS they may use some ideas from it! haha

16. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

We've got a Mia who we've had six weeks and for the first month she was hiding most of the time and only showing herself for food. She's a very gentle girl so we haven't had any hissy behaviour but its only this last 10-14 days that she's started being more confident and spending time with us. Even now, she won't come and sit with us in the evenings etc. but goes off in the bedroom on her own and a lot of noises and movements send her running. When we have visitors you can't see her for dust. I expect it will be a few more months before she really feels secure but I think she may always be nervous in certain situations. But, we've come on leaps and bounds since day one.

17. korrok

korrok PetForums Senior

They're all very much individuals and they require a lot of time to settle in sometimes. When I adopted my two meezers, Teemo had been treated very cruelly and was terrified of everything, Shanti had been used for breeding litters and although she was more settled in the original home she was very fearful and antisocial when she got here.

Teemo, as the more fearful of the two, actually came around to me faster and what it took with him was not to give him space as is often suggested (tried this in the beginning but it felt wrong) but rather to sit with him in his "hiding corner" (behind a curtain) and just talk to him, give him a treat sometimes, pet him a little sometimes. We had tried the "give space" for days with no result except more fear, spending direct time with him for one day and he started to come out, and things got better rapidly. He's still terrified of strangers and can be fearful of my boyfriend - I don't know if a man treated him badly, or whether it's just because my boyfriend works long hours while I'm at home all the time - but overall he is a happy little cat who has spent his whole morning piled up with his mum Shanti on my lap. :)

Shanti as I mentioned was a breeding cat, and she did not respond the same way to attempts to spend time with her, she'd turn her face into a corner and did not want to know, so we gave her more of her own space. She was rather hostile, though not hissy, towards us in the start and very standoffish, even when Teemo was already getting cuddles. She hid for much longer. But we gave her space, played with her (couldn't resist Da Bird) and now she is very settled, outgoing, extremely cuddly and affectionate. She's also okay with strangers and visitors where Teemo will flee.

It took about a month for Shanti to come round and the change was very sudden. So I'd say don't despair! Give her plenty of time, if she was a sweet cat before she will be again. :)

18. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Thanks for all the lovely "now settled" cat stories :D

I shall def be printing this off and taking it with me:)

Hopefully the food / feliway will help and she'll settle soon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice