Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Settling an 8 week old puppy into our house?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by leisurely, Mar 14, 2017.

1. leisurely

leisurely PetForums Junior

Hi, I'm new to this fourm but not dog ownership. I've never had a puppy before. All my previous dogs have been rescues.
    I have a probably really stupid question. Our Bedlington Terrier enters our lives on Saturday. I think we have got everything necessary however, I was wondering if it would be worth getting a plug in to make him happy and calm or if that is pre empting a problem that may not occur.
    He will be brought down from Yorkshire to our house three hours away There are three of us in the family, I've got 10 days holiday to help him settle, my daughter is really happy about him coming and my husband is accepting of his arrival.
    So, essentially the question is. Should I buy a pheromone thing or not bother?
    Many thanks in advance

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

No need in my opinion, a confident puppy should have no problems settling in immediately.

3. leisurely

perfect, thank you for your speedy reply. I am determined to have a happy, confident, healthy lad I have been second guessing myself.

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

My kennel bred dog was slightly unsure coming into a house for the first time, but my house reared pups have had their feet firmly on the ground the moment they walk through the door!

5. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

We got ours from a kennel and she settled in easily enough, toilet training wasn't as horrendous as we envisaged

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Hopefully, you will be offering the pup plenty of comfort and company when it first arrives, especially at night time so there should be no reason for it to get overly stressed/anxious, notwithstanding the fact that it will be without it's mum and siblings, of course ;)

We always had pups/kittens with us at night so they don't feel alone/scared/cold. It also makes knowing when they need to go out to the toilet very clear.

Once they have settled they can then gradually be taught to be a bit more independent, of course.

7. leisurely

That's what I thought Lurcherlad. He is just a gorgeous litttle boy. Confident and happy when we met him three weeks ago but he was with mum and brothers and sister. I would have loved to have got two, but space - not to mention cash dictates just one.
    He will start off in our en-suite bathroom (tiled floor) then once he is settled, move to the kitchen.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

That's handy, and he will know you are nearby and you can speak to him to re-settle, etc. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice