Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

setting up my own rescue for cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catcoonz, Nov 17, 2012.

1. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

after having rescued Raven & Gracie from an awful home i have now decided to set up my own rescue for cats and kittens due to many rescue's being full up.
    i have had my own outside run built and can take in 20 rescue cats and kittens, i know this doesnt sound many to help but i feel if i can help just a few this would be better than not helping any.
    i am not asking for any donations as i have finances of my own to support this rescue but what i do need is suggestions for a rescue name.
    i cant be a charity registered rescue as there is only myself and i have a friend who works within cp to help me to homecheck, i will also be guided by the rules of other rescues to not rehome during the xmas period.
    im setting aside part of my wages to support my dream and i have the backing of my vet for care for these cats/kittens plus i will pay for neutering, vaccinations and microchips from my own pocket.
    if anybody can help with suggestions for a rescue name that would be great, it cant be a name already related to any know charities and for rehoming i do not ask for any donations, im purely setting up and funding this myself.
    ideas of what others think would be greatful, even if others dont approve of my idea i would still like to hear your thoughts on this. thankyou.:)

2. Rolacolacube

Rolacolacube Owned by 4 cats :)

You are truly one of the most selfless people I have ever known and I think your idea is wonderful. 20 cats is a huge amount. I just don't have the words to say how amazing you are !! :001_wub:

I will have a think about some names :D

What areas are you going to rescue cats and kitties from?? xxxx

3. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

It's really great you are able and willing to do this. It is a lot of work, but very worthwhile.
    As for a name, I don't know what names are already in use, but as you are only taking in cats, I'd think something like Purrrfect Strays, Cats4Life, Happy Purrrs...... or something with Sanctuary in the name.....
    Second Life Sanctuary, maybe, as their second, better life starts with you??

#3 Jiskefet, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

thankyou, i really like the name Happy Purrs, not sure i can use a name with santuary in though as im not a registered charity.
    regarding areas, im happy to take in from all areas but as its only myself owners would need to bring to me as if im out doing transport all the time the cats/kittens wouldnt have my dedicated time.
    the cat run is already built but i need to section with sneeze barriers and extra doors which will be done next week. i will be open to take rescue's in for xmas.
    i will still be breeding mc's but they are indoors and my stud now has his new house at the other end of the garden.
    i know about infections and have many years experience with hand rearing etc, from being a breeder and also a foster home for cp which i done for 5 years. i know its hard work but as i only work early mornings with the horses i find i have time to achieve my dream.:)

Lisa2701 and claire8234 like this.
  5. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Wow, that is amazing! All the very best with it :) xx

6. Rolacolacube

Rolacolacube Owned by 4 cats :)

Just fantastic. You are doing an amazing thing. You really are an inspiration xx

7. raggie doll

raggie doll PetForums VIP

brilliant i wanted to do the same thing for the special needs cats

8. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

fabulous news :D for those poor less fortunate cats. Good luck!!!!! sadly I suspect it won't be long before you are full :(

9. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

You wonderful, selfless, thoughtful person! I'm in awe of you, I really am- I just wanted to say how much I admire you for doing this! :001_wub:

I'd love to set up a rabbit rescue at some point. Just need an OH with lots of money so I can have a big house and garden :p

Well done, Catcoonz, you are wonderful! :D

10. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

What a brilliant idea - maybe asking for a small donation for rehoming might be a good idea? I just think if people actually have to 'pay' for something, they give it more value.

Its hard to explain what I mean, but I have noticed at work, the people that are fully funded don't 'appreciate' the service as much as people that give a small donation. The fully funded ones will just not turn up and when you ring them its 'oh I forgot' with no apology, as if they are doing us a favour when they do attend (I work for a charity!)

As for a name - I like Graven Lodge - its a mix of those first two kitties that gave you the idea, and your residents will just be lodging with you for a while until they get back on their paws :D

Good luck with it, wish I were nearer - I would be your first volunteer :)

claire8234 likes this.
  11. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

Lovely idea CC and i also think your the right person cut out for the job.:)

12. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

No names but just wanted to say what a fantastic person you are, good luck with your venture :)

13. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

Catzcoonz you are amazing :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: 20 cats is a decent amount.

New Start Cat Rescue
    Chances Cat Rescue

If I think of some more I will put them on.

Well done you. x

cheekyscrip likes this.
  14. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

How about "paws (or purrs) for thought" as a name. :eek: (not very good with names!!)

Your'e such a selfless,amazing lady with a heart of gold...wishing you and all the kittys that get the opputunity to meet you all the luck and love in the world.xx

15. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

I like MCW's suggestion

And also some of the ones that JK mentioned,

As you cant use sanctury perhaps

Graven Lodge Second Chance Rescue

16. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

You're an amazing woman !!

For names how about
    Kitstop
    Kitty cat pitstop
    Catnap lodge
    Whiskers hotel
    Short stay cat house
    Kitty waiting place
    Adoption lodge for cats
    Rough start cats
    Halfway cat house
    Rescue meow

Sigh. ..all a bit rubbish

we love bsh's likes this.
  17. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

wow i didnt expect you all to support me, i expected negative feedback due to being a breeder.
    ive always had this passion to help animals, i have 7 rescue horses of my own but cats are my main passion.
    this is the cat run but its not complete yet, ive found a builder who is willing to section into seperate parts for me and if all goes to plan and i get my garden done in time next summer i will expand and have another run built.
    its taken alot of saving up and extra hours at work to achieve my dream, my vet is happy to do discount prices for the rescues which helps me greatly and im very pleased to have found a wonderful vet to agree with this. food wise i can afford for an extra 20 cats, if more would be a slight push and i have also found a website designer to do a discount on a website for me. all rescue cats/kittens would go on a contract that if circumstances change the cat/kitten must come back to me, this would then hopefully solve the animlas going into another rescue home and i will have a seperate run built especially for them if they come back. pregnant cats will have another run with a heated house which ive already had done.
    heres a photo of the run attached to a queens quarters obviously needs sectioning now.:)
    do you think this is suitable size for 20 rescues or should i extend it.
    also i wont be asking for a rehoming fee but maybe say if they wanted to give a donation of cat food for the next rescue to come in.

Attached Files:

18. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

They are great ideas them.

19. raggie doll

raggie doll PetForums VIP

also with all the rescues i deal with i often find duplicates of names so do a bit of homework on the names

20. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

are you the person who placed the post about shoe boxes for rescues?
    for some reason i cant email you, possibly my lack of computer skills but i would really like to send shoe boxes for cats, dogs and horses.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice