UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Setting up a small home dog day care

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Yorkey 
#1 ·
i plan to reduce my hours at work in October and would like to set up a small dog day boarding business.ive worked in the NHS for 37 years and i need a change . I love dogs and have always had dogs of my own - it’s been my dream for many years to start a small doggy day care- I have 3 acres of land in the Derbyshire dales so I have plenty of space for the dogs to play and exercise.....but where do I start ? Any guidance from established/ experienced businesses would be appreciated ...many thanks

#3 ·
That sounds exciting .:)
As has already been said , contact your local council.
How will the doggy day care fit in with your reduced hours?
Im stating the obvious here but you really need to have well fence land .
As you are new to all this it might be worth while doing an online course
such as
http://www.animalcarecollege.co.uk/courses.php?course_ID=20

#4 ·
Hi, Lynda, I admire your idea very much. I also believe you can do it.
As sometimes I also have a need to looking for a good daycare center for my doggie, thus I can tell you some of my considerations at the point of a customer.
I want my canine has a separate space where they can play and there are foods and fresh air, besides, I hope the floor and the fence are safe.
So I think firstly you should create a safe and clean environment which can hold many dogs(the limited numbers you need to plan first), then make some rules for them.
If you want to care for many doggies, you have to hire some employees.
I know you want to share your love with dogs, but when you establish a big daycare center, you need to think about more things about safety and reasonable management, it is not easy, but I still think you can try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.