Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Setter pup too thin?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by yellowyogi, Mar 25, 2020.

1. yellowyogi

yellowyogi PetForums Newbie

We have an 8 week setter pup and im worried shes too thin. Shes fed 4 times a day and ive started adding wet food to the dry food. Shes not a voracious eater at all (we've had labs in the past) but not really fussy either. Just doesnt eat a lot. Shes currently on step up to naturals puppy dry food amd wainwrights wet pouches. I can change her food if thats what the problem is but would like to use up this food too if poss. Its only a small 2kg bag. Shes 5.7kgs

Attached Files:

2. Maurey

Maurey butler to a spoiled kitty

How visible are her ribs from the sides, and how dramatic is her tuck? Pups can sometimes go through periods of being underweight (or tubby) when going through active growth, as they're using (and storing) a lot of calories for it. Changing foods to something more appealing to her, or adding some high appeal, somewhat caloric toppers like, for example, plain chicken, or some dog-safe fish (though might be a bit early to be introducing fish).

Do you know how much she approximately eats per day? Has she been checked for parasites and/or wormed recently?

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  3. yellowyogi

i dont think you can see the ribs but you can see the hips bones. Theres no fat at all. You can feel the ribs with no pressure. Shes been wormed in the last week

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Personally at 8 weeks I would like to see a little more cover on a pup. As she is 8 weeks - have you just picked her up? Whilst you have wormed her, I would still keep an eye on things as the breeder may not have wormed the pups, so she may need a second dose.

Pups sometimes are slow to gain weight (or even loose a little) during the first week at home as everything is new and they may not eat so well (which is why a good breeder leaves some puppy fat on to go home with at 8 weeks of age). Feelings hips with no pressure and seeing hip bones does suggest pup is under weight though.

I would add on some more food. If you change kibble then y ou can mix and match food as you use up what you have (which is presumably what the breeder gave you?) but as Maurey says you could try adding some toppers to give a few more calories and encourage eating. Personally my pups have anything they like - and my litters always love a tin of sardines for tea.

J

niamh123 and Maurey like this.
  5. yellowyogi

She doesnt always finish what i give her in one go. Its not a lot either. A handful of the dry food and half a pouch

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Then use kibble as rewards throughout the day for training. (I always has a pocketful of kibble as training treats with my last pup). And use a treat ball or puzzle game during the day to top up intake. Play find the kibble scent games or make up a delicious Kong (kibble/natural yogurt with a piece of chicken in the middle) when you want pup to settle. Lot's of fun ways to keep up food intake.

I presume pup is happy and healthy and active? As I said you can't have had her long - maybe she is still settling.

J

niamh123 likes this.
  7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Setters in general, and especially the pups are quite skinny and gangly looking. But at 8 weeks you don't want a skinny pup. Agree with the others that I'd want just a bit more covering on your pup, but you may find after a week of settling in she fills out a bit and looks better.

niamh123 and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  8. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

My setter looked like I was starving him when younger, but a good covering on a young pup is more desirable so if she picks up a bug she has something to fall back on. However I don’t think she’s overly thin given the breed, they are very gangly as puppies. If she will eat some more then it would help, but don’t get too hung up on encouraging her as it can make puppies not want to eat if you are watching every mouthful and trying to get her to eat more.

Have you spoken to her breeder? What do they say?

Sarah H likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice