Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

settee wrecking

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by welshjet, Apr 13, 2011.

1. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

after taking a liking to my artifical flowers, which have now been replaced with a spider plant and a fab stash of cat grass, my silent assassin has decided to start using the arms of the settee as a scratch post, any ideas how to discourage him - nicely of course.

Btw the settee is not the material version

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Not the material version? :tongue_smilie:

3. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Cut his claws so they are not so sharp and wedge a small scratching post by the arm or get one of the flat cardboard ones and put it on the sofa, or just buy a big throw to hide it for when visitors come :D

4. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Hobbs - im afraid to say its the leather version.

Greyhare - we have two flat ones already but my oh has decided to make an upright post for him, - perhaps this will be the motivation

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I love leather settees and we have one ourselves! Still a material though ;) :smile:

Do you have a scratching post nearby? Whenever you see him do it, can you just carry him over to the post and make him scratch on there. He might get the message.

One of mine stretches himself against the arm of the settee but he doesn't scratch it if that makes sense. Could he be doing the same or is he really going for it?

6. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

I had the same problem. I bought some anti chew and scratch deterant spray for dogs and cats, it is for use on furniture. Just spray on the sides of the sofa every few days. Elvis hasn't scratched the sofa since!

7. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Oh no the little darling has had quite a go at it, you can see where his needles have gone in and then pulled a tad on the way out! The two scratchers we have are flat versions which he goes hell for leather (wrong time to use the word leather) oh insists he will make a nice stand up post!

8. welshjet

welshjet PetForums VIP

Marley boy - good info will see if can pick it up in pets st home

9. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

I have been lucky in that most of the cats I've had have not been destructive that way. Mind you, I've always had scratching post first, kittens second. As soon as they showed an inkling towards the furniture, I would take them to the post, very gently squeeze their paw pads to bring the claws out and then gently draw the claws down the post, all the while telling them that this is where they scratch. A couple of times of doing that seemed to solve the problem.

Oscar has tried to make his mark on the last 2 sofas that I have bought but a firmly spoken "WHAT do you think you are doing?????" sorted that out. :D

10. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

you can always try sticky paws

11. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

I think I owe my landlord a new sofa thanks to cat claws. They don't scratch on it but use it as some sort of formula 1 track and literally launch themselves up and around it tearing the leather as they go. Not much I can do to save it now unfortunately. :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice