UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
If they aren't dog owners themselves then the odd barking fest from Rufus was probably considered "constant barking". You know what people are like!!

How sweet though , made me want to set up one for Milo. I work from home too so we aren't usually without each other. I do wonder if he's relieved when I do go out :p

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yay, sounds like a very quick way of putting your mind at rest.

I love my IP camera. Dodger gets picked up and dropped off from daycare and if there is ever an issue and I'm worried I'm about him if he beats me home I can just log on. Every time without fail if he's there he is asleep in his bed so I know he's fine - I'm the one with the issues!

·
Registered
627 Posts
They're fab! I'm going to watch him all the time now.. at 1st I was concerned about what I was going to see and thought i'd be devastated if he was crying or barking in distress, but in the end I was smiling at him being a good boy and laughing wondering what he was clattering about with in the background. He's a cutie :eek:
Gives you a warm fuzzy feeling!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've got a foscam one, you can use an app to view it on your phone/ipad if out and about and you can rotate it etc so you don't have to have the camera fixed in one view point. It also has infra red so that you can see at night if the lights are off and there is sound etc.

Can you tell I love mine, I want to get another!

·
Registered
768 Posts
glad to hear Rufus is behaving himself.:D

i wonder what Cody gets up to when i'm not in :confused:

these cameras look brill for so many things.

i'm off to have a look on ebay.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hehehe. I got like that, really concerned, when I used to come home to a flipped bed and toys everywhere. I never knew whether Betty was just enjoing herself or if it was done out of distress.

Our neighbours have never mentioned anything about her barking, but we live detatched so I was never sure if they could hear her or not. I was satisfied when I was ill one day and took some time off work. I decided to do Betty's morning routine as normal and set her breakfast toys down, but instead of going out the front door, I went upstairs and back to bed. I didn't hear a peep! She didn't know where I was (too engaged in breakfast!) and was very surprised when I came downstairs to make a cuppa, but I was so pleased!

·
Registered
336 Posts
This is reall good idea! I have to say, I would LOVE to set up Jeff Cam and check that he's ok whilst I am out!

Has anyone got any on here that they could recommend? Budget up to about £50??

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Great news! :)

We have IP cameras watching the dogs inside and some outside for security too, they are great! The D-Link cameras are the best for the money IMO and they are very easy to setup with the installation CDs iPhone apps ect. Great for indoor use in good lighting conditions, but IR is bad quality and they don't do cheap outdoor cameras which is annoying! Axis are great quality (but much more expensive obviously!)

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Today my OH came home and said that he's spoken to our old neighbours and they were asking about Rufus and how he was settling in the new house. My OH said he was fine, and asked why, and they said "Because he used to hate being left alone and barked constantly when you were out" :eek: :eek: :eek: I couldn't beleive that they'd never said anything before. It also concerned me as our new neighbour had also complained about Rufus barking when we were out we very 1st moved in. He's not said anything since so put it down to new house nerves. Sooo.. after what my old neighbour said today, and knowing that my new neighbour has also mentioned it, I got very concerned that he may have had separation anxiety all this time, and I had no idea. I was absolutely gutted, that i've let my boy down. Not only leaving the problem unnoticed and untreated, but to also let him get like that in the first place. He's with me all day, and I give him so much love and the best of everything.. I thought I made it so he didn't want us to leave and was upset.

SO... I asked my OH to set up an IP camera so we can watch him when we're out. Just set it up, and nipped out for 20 mins ish and watched him. It was really funny watching him, but i'm pleased to say there were no issues at all. He was quiet, and I saw him messing with his ball and heard clattering around in the background which sounded like normal Rufus noises. I was concerned that maybe the sound wasn't working, so when we got home my OH dinged the doorbell to make him bark while I stood up the road listening, and I definitely heard that, so no issues. I'm proud of him.

Going to try it again tomorrow for longer, but it's put my mind at rest that he's ok. I'm so releived.. I was so upset when my OH told me what my old neighbours had said. However, thinking about it, I wonder if they were hearing our other neighbours dog, who did bark constantly when their owner was out.. maybe that's it :confused:
We had similar problems with our neighbours, we moved into this terraced house 6 years ago from an isolated farm house. We had no idea that Rory had such bad separation anxiety. After all you don't hear it when you are out, and he could hear us coming home over the cattle grids so he was never barking when we got back. It took 18 months for the neighbours to say anything and by then it had developed into a real issue for one of them (non dog owner) the others were more concerned for him, but as dog owners, we thought they would have said some thing sooner!! It had been going on so long nothing we tried helped so we just adapted our lives and took him with us everywhere, I worked from home so it wasn't that hard but could be really awkward at times, if we had to be out without him we dropped him at mums, she was detached so no neighbours to mind, not that it helped him, and it was a 1 1/2 hr round trip for us. All to keep the neighbour from moaning. He only went and moved out a few weeks after Rory was PTS (I was going to say not that that had anything to do with our decision but actually, Rory was becoming less mobile so couldn't cope with coming with us everywhere and as we knew we couldn't leave him at home at all it did play a part :() If only they had said something sooner we may have been able to sort it out.

And its so right about non dog owners being more bothered. One time he told me Rory had been barking all evening - I had only been out to a parish council meeting for about an hour and was back in by 8 pm :confused:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I want to set up one for Molly now iv seen this thread!!

Molly is quite naughty when she's left on her own.. She has been known to jump onto the table, knock glasses off, knock the bin all over the floor and chew toilet roll up all over the house, so I want to see one up to see what else she does that we don't know about!

I would just like to add, shes not a bad dog, and im not a bad owner, she just gets bored :eek: :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.