Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Servicing our gas appliances

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by westie~ma, May 28, 2020.

1. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Have postponed our renovation work until next year due to covid.

Haven't had any servicing done since moving in as we were going to change our kitchen set up and create a summer kitchen out of the large, existing utility room.

Anyway, stop on works for foreseeable so instead I'm having my gas appliances checked over to make sure they can get us through to the time we can start work, which will be lord only knows here in Wales.

Today my gas engineer checked over the aga and it desperately needs a service so he switched it off and will come back later when it has cooled down.

Have opened the lids and ovens so it cools quicker. Thought I'd share pics with anyone interested as this is my first time for doing any of this.

F036F348-8530-4EDB-86A2-7C3D156EB229.jpeg

Yeah, put my kettle on for a cuppa :D

lullabydream, Pixel and Lurcherlad like this.
  2. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Patio doors open wide for airflow

CEE7E645-17D9-43C4-A0E9-3784E87C92DC.jpeg

lullabydream and Pixel like this.
  3. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

So glad we got someone in. Few faults shall we say :rolleyes:, typical of what we are finding with this house.

Anyway, all serviced, cleaned out and niggles sorted and we are back to cooking on gas, nearly.

Turned down the temperature to minimum overnight but after 10 mins on the boiling plate my kettle still not whistling so I've turned it up, hopefully we can have tea tonight now :D

It was a great shame that we had to have a chippy because it wasn't hot enough by teatime, great shame, I adore chips from a proper chippy :D

SbanR, Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  4. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Today it was the boiler's turn to be serviced.

DB3DB3CF-0DDC-4D5D-AF7A-E18AF42502F9.jpeg

We knew it was an old one but discovered it was installed in 1983 :eek: thanks to the sticker on the inside cover. My gas engineer started his career 42 years ago fitting these boilers so knew his way around it. Two other plumbers who have been here looked scared stiff when they saw it in its cupboard :D:D

We are hoping it'll see us through the next year until we are ready to start renovating.

This wasn't left in a safe state either. When we bought the house the estate agent arranged for both the boiler and aga to be serviced, my engineer doesn't think they have been serviced in a long time. How bad is that?!?

Anyway, all done and safe for another year.

Attached Files:

SbanR and lullabydream like this.
  5. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I'm not surprised it phased a couple of engineers!

Is the Aga converted or do they start life as a gas appliance? My only real experience of that sort of thing was my Nan's Rayburn that was solid fuel.

westie~ma likes this.
  6. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Yeah, its older than both my kids!!

This aga started out as gas. I think its an old one (refurbished) that the previous owner got. Not sure of the age though. My friend has an oil rayburn but hers is oil fed.

I have one in the cottage that we disconnected (plan to reconnect some time) that was originally solid fuel converted to oil. Cooked on it for 20 years on the odd weekends when we were there so when it came to ripping it out I couldn't let her go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice