Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Service Dog Log

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by soya, Jun 6, 2018.

1. soya

soya PetForums Junior

Its not really a log, log just rhymed. Maybe it’s a metaphorical tree log.

I’m looking for a prospect. I live in America so my journey will be in accordance to the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

At this point in my journey, I’ve decided on a Smooth Coated Collie (though both potential sires are Rough Coated so if the best temperament ends up a rough I will choose accordingly and groom often).

Originally, I had considered Golden’s, Labs, and Poodles - however after getting to know this breeder, her dogs, their temperaments, her Service Dog program, and because she is a fantastic breeder and person, I have decided to pick from a litter by her later this year.

She will be breeding a smoothie (dam) with one of two roughs. Once I know who the sire will be, I’ll post pictures of him, but her pictures will be in my following post.

She gave me an estimate for breeding in 4-5 months. From there it will be 2 and a half months ( I believe ) before I get to bring them home. Needless to say there’s no hurry, my focus is a solid temperament.

I just made this thread because it’s fun, exciting, and service training is a passion of mine. If anyone else wants to talk about service dogs, I’m always ready - post away! It’d be interesting to hear about service dogs in the UK and your general opinions on them.

2. soya

soya PetForums Junior

Here’s mama! I just went back to look at our earliest conversation and I started it back in March of last year. Time flies, but boy am I excited to finally get my hands on one of her pups!

Attached Files:

kimthecat likes this.
  3. soya

soya PetForums Junior

I’ve just spoken to the breeder - I will be getting pick of the litter at 7 weeks old. From there I will be performing the standard temperament test for service work on the litter and making a decision based on how they do. Personally hoping for a peachy colored sable, but as color isn’t important to me this would just be a bonus :)

4. soya

soya PetForums Junior

Litter is planned for late fall early winter so around October / November. Thinking of some fall names, any suggestions? I’ve always sort of liked the name Voodoo which would be fitting for an October puppy.

5. soya

soya PetForums Junior

Using this thread to dump information and resources in as well, so just going to drop this here for much later reference in trim styles in the case he or she ends up being a rough collie.

Contour trim seems to be the best trim I’ve come across for maintaining a healthy collie coat while also minimizing the amount of hair. Safety is also a concern as fur getting caught can be potentially dangerous. I personally avoid escalators at all costs for this reason but always carry dog boots on me just in case to keep the toe nails safe.

Trim suggestions welcome!

6. soya

soya PetForums Junior

Another reference photo.

Attached Files:

7. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Are you training the pup up to be your own assistant dog? :)

soya likes this.
  8. soya

soya PetForums Junior

Partially! I have the help of the breeder who has a SD program as well as a certified trainer and behaviorist who I’ll be working closely with to tackle any training challenges that arise along the way.

9. soya

soya PetForums Junior

While I have a passion for training dogs and am looking forward to it, I realistically wouldn’t suggest owner training your dog to most people, and never to anyone unenthusiastic about dogs and dog training. If you do go that route (for anyone reading who may be interested) please get help. It’s a lot of hard work and it’s an excruciating process. No matter how prepared you think you are - you’re probably not.

That being said in the USA it’s perfectly legal and acceptable to owner train your own dog. I’m unsure of the laws in the UK however I do know service dogs seem much less of a common occurrence.

10. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

In the UK - service dogs are often only available to those with physical disabilities mostly. http://www.assistancedogs.org.uk/

They are trained by charities - demand is much higher than the dogs available, many charities stop taking applications for service dogs.

There is no registration scheme for people to register their pet dogs as service dogs in the UK.

11. soya

soya PetForums Junior

I think Psychiatric Service Dogs are wonderful when treated and trained as any other Service Dog, so to me that’s a shame. The accessibility of SDs in the USA has both pros and cons. I’m working on certifications to become an independent trainer at much lower cost than average as I believe well trained solid dogs should be more readily available to those that need them. We have mostly paid organizations here.

12. soya

soya PetForums Junior

I also just remembered the price of an organization trained dog runs about 25,000 dollars, which is just grossly overpriced if you ask me. Many people with disabilities are unable to work so I don’t know why someone could in their right heart charge someone with a disability in need an inordinate amount like that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice