UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when Coda went off to stud I had 9 people wanting a total of 13 kittens - a couple of those were tentative (one of those MCWillow) - so you would think that reasonable. I now have 5 kittens and only 2 have homes - everyone else other than MCW dropped out and Dagny fell in love with Flower. I have 3 people on the waiting list for the next litter (if I have one). I have advertised for weeks now and not a nibble!

I cant keep them all, and I can't breed more unless I think I can find homes. I'm sure this lot will all eventually get homes (at a reduced price) and therefore a loss for me. Now I'm out of work (I have CFS) I can't afford to continuously fund this as an expensive hobby. Unless these kittens find homes - I think I'm going to have to stop. (this isn't a plea for forum members to take my kittens - that's not what I want) I'm just flabbergasted at the high drop out rate and the lack of interest. Maybe it will pick up towards Xmas - but are they the type of owners I want?

What to do? What to do?

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
its difficult isnt it.
i have 13 kittens and 2 was hanging around for a while, i took new photos and then they went within a week.
try new pics and see what happens, i can understand how you feel though when people drop out but they do go in the end.:)

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
I want them all!! But I wouldn't want a Ragamuffin in a house that currently has a cat flap, it's hard enough keeping Pixie indoors and out of the kitchen... :rolleyes::

·
Administrator
35,983 Posts
I think a lot of people are feeling the bite of the recession now :( I found selling Mai Tai's last litter harder than in the past but mainly because I had been messed about by someone early on :rolleyes:
I also think that some breeds are more 'fashionable' than others - MCs, Ragdolls and Bengals for example and the 'market' for other breeds is quieter especially for ones like yours Spid that is little known.
I think people who want a pedigree generally know more or less what breed they would like and will 'google' say Siamese kittens for sale making them easier to sell, if that makes sense :confused:
You need the profile of Ragamuffins raising and this forum is an excellent place to start :)

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
i still get enquires for ragdolls even though my mum gave up last year, still have photos on my website so if i have any more i can always tell them about the beautiful ragamuffins and send to you.;)

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep ads on Pets4homes, Kittenlist, and even the horrendous Preloved!

Was just discussing it with hubby and saying the profile needs raising. Maybe I'll get enquiries after the Supreme and then they will be ready to go. By all means pass on my details CC :D Thanks.

·
Registered
14,011 Posts
oooh preloved, but then we have to try dont we lol. xxx
i dont know much about ragamuffins but i would think they are a smaller version of the ragdolls but with the same temperament. please correct me if im wrong as i understand they are a new breed.

all i can say is keep trying with different photos, you may get lucky.:)

·
Registered
611 Posts
OH what a shame :( They are lovely babies! I never heard of them before I see your link, Alot of people still havent heard of high profile cats so one that is new they wont have heard of, not sure what to advise but hope they find good homes :) Would be a shame if a good breeder gave up, alot of breeders are giving up, Taylorbaby who was on here is giving up breeding bengals due to BYB so sad :(

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I love the boy so much. We may be genuinely interested - mum has fallen in love already.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
In those lists of character traits needed by breeders we all forget the ability to hold our nerve when it comes to sale time. I've had the odd kitten still here at 17 weeks, been kicking myself at refusing people earlier and then the right home has come along. I've found one of the reasons people drop out is because they don't want to wait and they've found a kitten elsewhere ready sooner. This then becomes a real case of what goes around comes around and you're the one who gets the buyer when yours are ready. I can honestly say every time I've been worried I have found lovely homes eventually and often end up with a flurry of enquiries a week or two after the last one has left.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I breed a rare breed - Snowshoes and I feel your pain. I had 11 kittens needing homes Nov and Dec and now have 3 unreserved. Hopefully we will both find interested parties, but I do discount prices or rehome for free to friends if they are still here at 15 weeks or so.

My experience of the Supreme was that it raised interest and my profile, but it didn't translate into immediate kitten sales, more into future contact months down the line. Sorry to be depressing.

My experience of a rare/little known breed is that this is the worst time of year, I have a lot more contact in the Spring. I now breed the Old Style Siamese because I love them, but also because I can easily find fantastic homes and that to a degree offsets the kittens I give away. Though I am running at a massive financial loss and have just got a job to further support my hobby.

A new breed is a dedication and I'm afraid I think it involves dedicated people - like yourself - to invest financially. As stated hold your nerve and I am sure you will find loving homes - I only had one go as a Christmas kitten last year and that kitten is adored and in a super dedicated home so please don't be put off everyone who contacts you for that reason. Sometimes a big financial outlay needs to be excused as a present - I think in today's financial climate fewer Pedigree kits probably end up an impulse buy than in previous decades. Though obviously you will weigh up each home on it's own merit.

Please don't give up and I am looking forward to meeting you at the Supreme - you will be inundated though, as people are fascinated to actually see the new breeds. I was both intimidated and flattered by it last year.

:):)

(Mental note to self to change Avatar to a cute kitten I actually have available, as mildly offended that lovely caring PF members only seem to want to give homes to fluffy kittens not lovely colourpointed and white short haired ones)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Like you, Spid, I have struggled finding homes this year (normally I have a waiting list) and did in fact have 2 people waiting but wanting girls from me - and we had 3 boys!! Despite advertising everywhere I am still left with two - and it's not helped by the fact they are extremely fussy eaters. They boys are now 5 months old. Problem is I have gotten so attached but if I want to carry on breeding then I need to find a home for them; if the right home doesn't come along then we will keep them and neuter our remaining girl (their mum) and give up.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
It would be a huge shame if you had to give up Spid :(

I hope it doesnt come to that because Codas litter is delicious.

I did mention in passing today that Blossom needs a home - while we were sat on Duval Street in a bar :devil:
Good work! You could even keep her name, as it's a tree name... :D

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,552 Posts
How about looking up Spotty Cat's accupressure technique for bringing a queen out of call and using that to take a break, without neutering your girl or girls?

BTW I still haven't worked out what your breed is!

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts, words and suggestions.

@OrientalSlave - do you have sigs turned off, as it says in my signature. I breed RagaMuffins (cousins of the Ragdoll but solid as well as pointed) and Selkirk Rexes. The RagaMuffins are the kittens I have at the moment - they are very similar in temperament to Ragdolls having a shared ancestry. Fluffy things. If I decide to give up on the Muffins I will spay Coda and concentrate on my Selkirks.

@Alaskacat - I won't actually be at the supreme but the breed club will be - after the pet show in London I got a lot of enquiries though every single one of those disappeared.

It's the fickleness of people that does my head in. One lady rang me from Cambridgeshire and I told her how far away she was and suggested breeders nearer her. She was insistent she wanted my kittens, had fallen in love with Coda etc. Had family this way so was happy to travel etc etc. No amount of dissuading worked. She started to not reply to emails (apparently a friend had been in hospital with a heart attack) then 1 day before she was due to visit 'apparently' her grown up son (who was coming with her to visit!) gave her his ragdoll to look after and so she couldn't have a kitten after all! Yeah right! I believe that one! Why not just be straight with me as soon as you change your mind - I don't need lies.

@Havoc - you are right I need to hold my nerve. As long as I cover the costs of neutering and vaccinating I can carry on. It is about keeping your nerve and not panicking. I was panicking last night - brought on by that 'ill kitten' thread that I should never have replied to.

@Shrap - PM recieved

@MCW - you are taking on the lovely Cedar already - this is enough :) Mr MCW has already had his arm twisted behind his back, not sure it would go any further! But thank you for the thought.

I will hold my nerve and hope. Thank you all. :D

EDIT: I was horrified when on Preloved at how many ragamuffin crosses are being advertised already - just for this area it was at least 6 people!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.