Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seriously fed up with biting......

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by francesandjon, May 30, 2010.

1. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

Koda bites....not viciously, but 'play-biting' - no growling, no snarling, no broken/marked skin.

He doesn't do it very often, and seems to do it when he wants to play.

He has no concept of what 'NO' means......don't know why!

We've tried rattle bottles, spray bottles and deterant spray (the pressurised one that hisses)......but nothing seems to work - he gets used to them.

When he does it, it is accompanied by trying to get on the sofa in a way to harrass you, not sleep!

Really don't know what to do, i'm fed up with it!

Would one of those spray collars work? (don't really know a lot about them)

Any suggestions?

2. francesandjon

35 views and no-one can suggest anything???

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Have you tried yelping/squealing as if he's hurt you.
    This worked for me although some dogs seem to get more excited.
    Or using time out remove yourself or him from the room and try again when he's calm.

4. ~Would not use the spray collar (assuming that you mean the cirtonealla) There is a spray available from most pet stores in a red can costing around £10 that would give better results when wanting to deploy bad habits.

5. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Have you tried growling loudly and then getting up and leaving the room? (I know it can be a pain when you're in the middle of watching t.v or something!) That is what another dog would do and believe me it does work, i have had lots of dogs in the past and used this technique with them all and never had a problem. They soon learn that this behaviour doesn't impress you and it gets them no attention at all! :thumbup:

The thing to remember is to teach the positive too, so when he is being calm and not biting or demanding attention then give him a reward, it may be a treat or a game with a favourite toy or even just a 5 minute cuddle on the floor. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Don't despair as it can be solved, and try not to be negative as even giving a negative response i.e telling him off is giving him attention and he will repeat it just to get your attention again!!

Good luck. Take a deep breath and try this new tactic. Be consistent too.

6. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Have you thought about what you want him to do, rather than what you don't want? What training have you done with him?

7. francesandjon

thanks all.

We tried yelping/squealing/growling in the past......sometimes works, but sometimes adds to his excitment.

I often leave the room, but its something that I will drum into OH now too.....we'll give anything a try!

He's had 'normal' puppy school training, which we continue on walks, meal times etc.

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

I find that training a dog often stops the biting. I have just been training a desert dog who was biting everyone. Giving the dog something to think about changed him completely. Sit, stay, down, stand, fetch, roll over, etc etc etc..........

9. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

i put Shorty in the kitchen and close the door if she starts mouthing but its very seldom now,

if she comes out and still continues she tends to get scragged and stops immediately x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice