Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seriously consdering getting a cat...

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Akai-Chan, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

So what do I need to know? I'd preferably like to get 2 kittens who would eventually be house cats. What do they need in the way of jabs etc? How much does it cost to feed them? What sort of cat would be best as a house cat? I only had this consideration last night so I haven't had time to do much research but I'm gonna get on that as soon as I'm a bit more awake. Just thought I'd ask on here first.

Any info appreciated :thumbup:

Peace
    Akai-Chan

2. rottiesloveragdolls

depending on what kittens you get, From a repsectable breeder they will have already had their vacs and wouldnt need any more untill their just over 1 year old,
    But if you get a kitten before they are 9 weeks then they wont have had any, and your vets would advise the best as they have 1 lot at 9 weeks and the 2nd at 12 weeks, feeding prices depends again on what you feed them on, also cost of beds toys etc but you also have to consider vet bills if ever needed could be expensive,

#2 rottiesloveragdolls, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  3. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

What vaca etc would they need to get? at 9/12 weeks and a year?

Peace
    Akai-Chan

4. rottiesloveragdolls

the cat flu ect mine also have Felv thats lukeimia/clamidia at 9wks and 12wks cost around £50 each
    then they have a booster every year, cost around £35 each Different vets charge different prices?

5. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

I found that Companion Care in some Pets at Home stores have good deals and can be cheaper than other vets. There might be one in your area. Why not ring a few in your area and find out a bit about them and get quotes.
    When my kitten arrives I'm going to sign him up to companion care as I've seen people there and they always have nice chats with the vet and the staff seem really friendly. I also think the prices are reasonable and as its in pets at home, I can get him a new toy while there as a treat for going :)

Their website is www.companioncare.co.uk

6. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

once you have vaccines out the way and spaye or neutering the cost is not alot. if they are gonna be indoor you shudnt need insurance jst put a lil money away jst incase.

cost of food will depend wat you intend to feed your kittens. i pay roughly £30 a month for Sheldon which is for felix and james welbeloved. obviously if you chose a food with higher meat content your gonna be lookin at a little more.
    a cat tree can set you back anywhere from £10 to £500 so thats up to you. and toys youll prob find you'll buy loads and they'll play with a scrumpled bit of paper or a bottle top lol. and i wudnt bother gettin a bed, Sheldon doesnt use his so i jst got him a blanket and he sleep on that.

hope that helps abit :)

7. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

So far McGee has cost me..

£125

and that was for all his stuff and him.

:}

8. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hello,

I am getting two kittens soon. Before I came across Pet Forums, I found some other sites which were quite helpful including this one:

Cat Breed Selector

Enjoy!

Kori x

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

aw how lovely, I'd definately get 2 kittens unless you are home 24/7 as they need alot of company and stimulation! If you want them to be house cats I would go for a laid back breed of cat. I can only recommend British Shorthairs cos I've got one ;)

10. Shelley Cat Lover

Shelley Cat Lover PetForums Member

I second this! But also consider Burmese - my cross bred one is a big soppy muppet and a perfect indoor cat too :)

11. Akai-Chan

Akai-Chan Banned

To be honest I'm not massively bothered about breed, so long as they won't get bored from staying indoors all the time and also so long as there aren't any underlying health problems related to specific breeds?

I doubt I have space for a cat tree :( I have quite a lot of room when my bed is folded up into a sofa, but the rest of the time I have no room atall (The rest of the room is taken up by all my old rat girls)

I'm hoping next year once all or most of my rats have died to get a couple of ferrets too. Do you think the kittens and the ferrets would get along? In my (little :p) experience, they have gotten on, but do you think that was just a one off?

@Rachh: Did that include jabs etc? How much do you pay for food?

Again, thanks all for responses.

Peace
    Akai-Chan

12. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

Nah, we've not had his jabs done yet.
    I pay £13 for his 2/3kg bag of food :rolleyes:
    he's a pro plan cat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice