Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Serious Warning for Mobile Phone Users!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Merlin Birmingham, May 11, 2010.


  1. Merlin Birmingham

    Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    38
    A few days ago, a person was recharging his mobile phone at home. Just at that time his phone started ringing and he answered it with the charger still connected to the phone.

    After a few seconds, electricity flowed into the Mobile phone unrestrained and the young man was thrown to the floor with a heavy thud the phone exploded.

    His parents rushed to the room only to find him unconscious, with a weak pulse and burnt fingers.

    He was rushed to the nearby hospital, but was pronounced dead on arrival.

    Cell phones are a very useful modern invention.
    However, we must be aware that it can also be an instrument of death.

    Never use the cell phone while it is hooked to the electrical outlet! If you are charging the cell phone and a call comes in, unplug it from the charger and outlet.
     
  2. archielee

    archielee PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2009
    Messages:
    4,220
    Likes Received:
    24
    OMG so sad:(
     
  3. willa

    willa PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    Messages:
    4,889
    Likes Received:
    380
    OMG :scared::scared: Gotta admit i've spoken on my Mobile whilst it's plugged into the charger !
     
  4. owieprone

    owieprone PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Messages:
    5,043
    Likes Received:
    200
    please supply a link to the news article that that's from, as i'm doubtful about it being completely true.
    cheers :D
     
  5. thedogsmother

    thedogsmother PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2008
    Messages:
    20,845
    Likes Received:
    509
    Just talked to my husband whos an electrician and he raised his eyes to the ceiling and sait it was utter *******, I think he is a disbeliever :D. I would love to prove him wrong now:lol:
     
  6. willa

    willa PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    Messages:
    4,889
    Likes Received:
    380
    So it can't explode ?
     
  7. owieprone

    owieprone PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Messages:
    5,043
    Likes Received:
    200
    you OH is most likely correct.

    mobile phone adapters (note the word "adapter" here) reduced the normal current of 110/240 volts down to 10v or less (mine, for instance, takes it down to 5v), which IS NOT fatal, abit sore like, but NOWHERE near high enough to cause a fatality in someone healthy (or unhealthy tbh).

    there may have been a power surge at that particular moment, which is very unlucky but not the fault of the phone/charger.

    i agree he was probably thrown across the room, my physics teacher (hefty lad that he is) has had that done while messing about with a broken live socket.

    to put this into perspective a TASER uses 50,000v and THAT can't kill a healthy person.
     
  8. owieprone

    owieprone PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Messages:
    5,043
    Likes Received:
    200
    it would most likely melt rather than go up in a arnie-film-style explosion
     
  9. Merlin Birmingham

    Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    38
    As far as I am aware it has not been reported in the news yet, but the source I got it from is very reliable.

    Electricity can cause fires we all know that, we also know that modern phones can get very hot whilst being charged up, It may of been a case of one malfunction of that phone, but personally I do not think I would like to take that risk!

    It could of been a case of his hands were wet and dripped down onto the charger, Im not sure of the ins and outs i'm afraid, but one thing I do know is that anything is possible in this world!
     
  10. owieprone

    owieprone PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Messages:
    5,043
    Likes Received:
    200
    tbh if his hands were dripping wet and he thought picking up a plugged electrical item was a good idea, he wasn't too bright.
    feel sorry for him and his family like but...daft.


    besides it wouldn't have been the electricty that killed him, more likely the resulting fall, unless he had some underlying health problem that 110/240v could damage.. dicky ticker maybe.

    so... my advice... if you are going to pick up your phone with wet hands or just before an imminent power surge, while it is connected to the charger, and answer it.. make sure your stood back to couch.. that way you will land on your couch safe and sound and in a nicely seated position for carrying on your conversation and not die of resulting fall injuries. (Adendum: have back-up phone next to couch, already charged, for just this sort of emergency).

    failing that have someone else answer it.
     
  11. Waterlily

    Waterlily Amused

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    Messages:
    29,064
    Likes Received:
    1,418
    I hope so cos I always text and use my phone when its charging :scared: I guess its safer then investigating ya laptop cord immediately after ya bunny chewed it right to the middle bit :rolleyes: :eek:
     
  12. owieprone

    owieprone PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Messages:
    5,043
    Likes Received:
    200
    using straightners after one of the rats has chewed through it.. tho in my defence i did put electrical tape around the various holes.. worked for ages with no ill effects.. bro thought it was hilarious, said i didn't need to actually use it to straighten i should just touch my finger to the exposed wires.. job done :scared: = straight hair. :thumbup:
     
  13. dobermummy

    dobermummy Banned

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2009
    Messages:
    8,756
    Likes Received:
    187
    but its a cheap way of getting curly hair :lol:
     
  14. Merlin Birmingham

    Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2010
    Messages:
    715
    Likes Received:
    38
    A domestic power supply voltage (110 or 230 V), 50 or 60-Hz AC current for a fraction of a second can induce ventricular fibrillation at currents as low as 60 mA.
     
  15. owieprone

    owieprone PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Messages:
    5,043
    Likes Received:
    200
    true but unlikely to kill, bit of heart burn maybe ;)
    if it was usually fatal, the tasers wouldn't be allowed 50,000v is how many amps? scary. i'd rather use my damaged straightners.
     
  16. Waterlily

    Waterlily Amused

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    Messages:
    29,064
    Likes Received:
    1,418
    :lol: :lol: my bunny was lucky apparently that she chewed the cord on the computer side of the adapter box thingy cos it was less voltage :eek: stupid bunny aye :rolleyes:

    yeah and ya get a black dye thrown into it too ;)
     
  17. Chillinator

    Chillinator Guest

    Imagine receiving an electric shock from static in a sheet of metal or from a metal stair rail.

    Take a look at the Bi-Orb aquariums, these have a 12v transformer built into the plug. When I had one, I received one or two weak zaps from the cable, but nothing more.

    As owieprone has quite rightly pointed out, if a 50'000V taser could kill a human, law enforcement agencies might as well stick to their handguns... :rolleyes:
     
  18. dobermummy

    dobermummy Banned

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2009
    Messages:
    8,756
    Likes Received:
    187
    [​IMG]

    you could have smiled for us wl :lol:
     
  19. Waterlily

    Waterlily Amused

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2010
    Messages:
    29,064
    Likes Received:
    1,418
    aww I look hot aye !! :thumbup:

    [​IMG] :lol: :lol:
     
  20. JANICE199

    JANICE199 PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    Messages:
    31,152
    Likes Received:
    4,226
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice