UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my neighbour got a kitten a few months back from a family whose cat accidentally got pregnant, yeah...the mothers still not been "done" and goes out, we have never spoken to this family nor intend too.

Her little girl has been kept in, wheras one of her brothers was going out alone from around 3 months of age, possibly a little younger. Anyway, our neighbour has let her little girl in the garden, supervised and only for a few minutes at a time, which i think is wrong being she is around 4 months, not sure of the age really but around that age!

Now, she does love her animals and has already spoken to the vet about getting her spayed but she's very small and so the vet wants to see her again at 6 months or in january i think my mum said, which yeah would make her around 4 months now.

But our neighbour has mental issues, from her childhood and life experiences and she can have bad nights where she'll drink the night away to ease feelings and then just go to bed. She wouldnt harm an animal or put them in danger knowingly, she rescues alot, she rescued a hedgehog like 2 weeks ago and her and her son have spoken about all the animals they have helped over the years from living in the country side. She cares deeply for them.

But unknown to her last night cos she was in a state, her little kitten was out ALL NIGHT...she hasnt a clue how she got out, her son was home but in his room and she was sure she didnt open the door to let the dog have some exercise without checking for the kitten. But this morning when she got up she couldnt find her and went outside to call her and she came back from the right hand side and was dry as a bone, which suggests she got herself into a shed or outbuilding of sorts, as each house around here has an outside toilet and storage cupboard.

She's now panicking what could of happened to her and if a tom got to her. I wasnt down stairs when she came telling all of this, so i dont know the outcome.

But i've looked online and they say a cat can become pregnant from 4 months of age, i dont know if she's come into season or not obviously, or if she's a silent caller. My neighbour is now beside herself for letting this happen and feels awfull, but the vet said the last time he saw her that he wouldnt spay her because she was too small, which means she would be too small for pregnancy too, im hoping she isnt pregnant, but if she is, would a vet do an emergency spay on a small cat or still say no she's too small?

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
"Rescue"... its hardly rescuing is it.

Your neighbour clearly needs to attend an AA meeting to get her started on the road to recovery.

All vets have different opinions. I suppose the 2 options for this kitten are
1) Die during a spay
2) Die during labour.

.. there is slim chance of a better outlook by the sound of it.

I'd say an urgent vet visit is needed.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Could the vet give her an injection, the equivalent of the morning after pill? Or is she too little, or do they even exist for cats?

I'm asking as my stallion was let out by tack thieves once and he ended up covering all the mares in the field, the vet gave them all jabs so they wouldn't get pregnant.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Is she really *that* small? Over here, vets routinely will spay or neuter at 8 or 10 weeks---the rule of thumb is 2lbs or 2 months. Unless she's under 2 lbs or .907kg, she should be fine to be spayed. A different vet might give her a different answer. I should think a pregnancy (and delivery!) would be a lot harder on a wee cat than a spay.

G

·
I recommend she get her spayed right now. It's a horrible thought of terminating a cat's pregnancy, but being out all night would have meant a male could have mated with her several times and she could be pregnant with any number of kittens.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Rescue"... its hardly rescuing is it.

Your neighbour clearly needs to attend an AA meeting to get her started on the road to recovery.

All vets have different opinions. I suppose the 2 options for this kitten are
1) Die during a spay
2) Die during labour.

.. there is slim chance of a better outlook by the sound of it.

I'd say an urgent vet visit is needed.
I'd prefer for you to not pass judgement on my neighbour and her issues thanks, she see's people weekly and has alot of issues and altho drinking isnt the answer it eases things for her. So less of the judging on her thanks!

I havent seen her today, but mum and dad have told me that they told her to be safe, take her to the vets to see what they say. We gotta wait too hear now if/when she goes.

Im sure there will be no pregnancy, but cant be too sure!

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i doubt being small and young she is in season so lets just hope she is ok.
Thats what i thought, she hasnt put on alot of weight in the last few months, sure she has grown but she had a bad start so fell behind from the word go.

If my neighbour didnt take her when she was almost chucked at her, she would be dead by now.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is she really *that* small? Over here, vets routinely will spay or neuter at 8 or 10 weeks---the rule of thumb is 2lbs or 2 months. Unless she's under 2 lbs or .907kg, she should be fine to be spayed. A different vet might give her a different answer. I should think a pregnancy (and delivery!) would be a lot harder on a wee cat than a spay.
I dont know her weight, but have seen from posts on here that some vets are against spaying young, which obviously she is and small for her age too.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recommend she get her spayed right now. It's a horrible thought of terminating a cat's pregnancy, but being out all night would have meant a male could have mated with her several times and she could be pregnant with any number of kittens.
That was my thoughts, like others have said, a cat doesnt know so it wouldnt upset her if she had a termination/spay.

But if the vet wasnt going to do anything until january, cos he said she was too small, would he now with this new info.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I think the best thing your neighbour can do is phone her vet and get advice from them.
Glad the kitten was safe, she obviously found somewhere dry to spend the night, at least your neighbour is upset, it shows she cares.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
I'd prefer for you to not pass judgement on my neighbour and her issues thanks, she see's people weekly and has alot of issues and altho drinking isnt the answer it eases things for her. So less of the judging on her thanks!

I havent seen her today, but mum and dad have told me that they told her to be safe, take her to the vets to see what they say. We gotta wait too hear now if/when she goes.

Im sure there will be no pregnancy, but cant be too sure!
Its not judging, its the first step of any 12 step programme. Or, we could all ignore it and enable her habit...

Anyway, i'll leave it at that now.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the best thing your neighbour can do is phone her vet and get advice from them.
Glad the kitten was safe, she obviously found somewhere dry to spend the night, at least your neighbour is upset, it shows she cares.
She does care, she came into us crying cos she felt bad. We'll see what she does next though!

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its not judging, its the first step of any 12 step programme. Or, we could all ignore it and enable her habit...

Anyway, i'll leave it at that now.
too be honest, you dont know whats happened with her and drinking is the smallest of her issues, she's getting constant help but issues are so deeply rooted she may never fully recover from her problems.

So thanks, but this is about the kitten.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Vets will go against there normal rules for special reasons. My vet won't neuter till 6 month but when I rescued a stray kitten she started to call about 4 months and was driving my neutered male crazy and they were actually getting it on in front of my kids:eek: so the vet agreed to spay her early, she was a good weight though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would recommend your neighbour phones the vets and has a chat just saying that the cat does go out now would she be able to get her done yet, I know my vets were more than happy to do my kitten at around 4 months but I decided not to because he has health problems.

At the end of the day, it was a mistake. Yes, if you are going to have a pet you should know where it is etc but we all make mistakes. I'm sure she will learn from this and take more care in the future because she is obviously worried, maybe her son might check on the kitten before bed too.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
She sounds a bit like my friend who gave me Treacle and Pixie, she has alot of issues too but she does love her cats, she was just very silly and naive and has learned alot from her mistakes now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.