Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seperation? Or just naughtyness?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by noonin, Jan 6, 2008.

1. noonin

noonin PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I have had Alfie, a complete Heinz variety, for nearly 2 1/2 years. He was a rescue dog at 9 months old and ever since I have had problems with him. We didn't know a lot about his past, but I have already guessed that he wasn't treated great as he was very nervous and all over tha place. His initial disobedience disappeared after some intesnsive training, but the problems don't end there.
    He never seems to be keen on men but now its got to a completely new level. He won't take food from my man, just me. When my man Mike tries to put his food down, Alfie cowers with his head down and if he gets the chance will run off as if scared. When my man gets up first and lets them out, Alfie will run down the bottom of the garden and stay there lying down until he knows I am about; sometimes this can be for a whole day. Mike has tried all techniques to gain his trust- body language etc- but for some reason Alfie just refuses to accept him. Whenever my man walks into a room, Alfie cowers and runs and even sometimes urinates. He has even on some occasions bared his teeth at him when he has been trying to approach him.
    Whenever I am home, Alfie folllows me constantly. When i put them outside or in the conservatory whilst i get on, he barks and barks for attention-and it isn't quiet!!
    I know that Mike has never done and never will do anything to warrant Alfie being so scared, and for a while we just accepted it as part of Alfie's nervous personality. But now our year old labrador is starting to show some similar traits-following me around, not playing with Mike like she always did, cowering when he comes in the room. Its really starting to get to us all now as Mike cannott ake the dogs out without me, as Alfie WILL NOT approach him to be put back on the lead or obey basic commands.:confused::confused:
    We have tried absolutely everything, and now have NO idea where to go next, so any advice would be so gratefully appreciated!!
    I have been told tha because I was the first person Alfie trusted, that he now depends on me too much, and that he hates the seperation. Is this right??

Many thanks,

Nadia
    :confused::confused::confused:

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hi
    poor alfie and sounds like the other dog is started to copy him.
    if you tryed every thing i would say go to a behavourist
    poor alfie must have been really missed treated by a man in the pass

3. noonin

noonin PetForums Newbie

Thats what I think, Thing is, he isnt like it with all men which as you can imagine is REALLY frustrating! Just now when I have sat on the other side of the room to charge the laptop he has swopped with me and will not sit on the same side of the room as my partner! :(

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

you can get the behavourist to come to you might be a better idea
    i think thats what i would do

5. noonin

noonin PetForums Newbie

I have been having a look around...i think it would be better for them to actually see his behaviour rather than me just trying to explain it!

6. carol

carol PetForums VIP

they can see what his like at home with you and partner then and they go out with you as well
    then help you to solve the problem
    hope everything works out

7. nici

nici PetForums Senior

one thing you can try is to let your partner do everything for alfie and you maybe need to take a step back, but not to try touch or force anything just do whats needed and ignor him the rest of the time, you need to assert yourselves as top dog, and the more you cuddle or comfort him the worse he will become i have one of mine that has just come to live with us and she is very nervous of everything but i practise this and over the time she is coming round we take 2 steps forward and1 back but i no if i try to comfort her she goes mad she even snaps at the other dogs and trys to get out of the way but we just put her on floor with rest and she soon sorts herself out sounds strange i no but more time spent ignoring the behaviour you dont want and more praising the good will work, most of all be calm and act normal. hope it helps

8. noonin

noonin PetForums Newbie

hi nici
    this is one thing we tried not long ago, and in the end Alfie didn't eat for nearly a week, and then ended up managing to open the food container and ate 5kg of food in one go-(no doubt helped by the labrador but still a lot of food, and mess!!) he just seemed to get more stressed and nervous. thinking now the only way is to get a dog behaviourist in, espcially as our labrador is starting to copy him.

9. nici

nici PetForums Senior

ahhh poor thing:( guess you no what your dog is all about so maybe the next step is to go to the therapist then good luck:)

10. clivecarter332

clivecarter332 PetForums Newbie

I dont know if this is any help, but there was something similar on one of the Dog Whisper shows (SKY 3).

Cesar Millan is an absolute wizard with dogs, and watching his shows has taught us a lot.

HTH

11. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Sounds like he sees your partner as the dominant member of the pack and is trying to stay out his way. This might also explain the other dog copying him if they rank behind your partner. Dogs are very sensitive and can pick up on what the other is feeling. Its wise to remember you are living as a pack and each member has a role.
    I agree with clive, Cesar Milan is very good and watching him could give you a few useful tips before you aproach a therapist.
    Good luck, I hope all goes well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice