Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seperation anxiety?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sazzer, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Sazzer

Sazzer PetForums Newbie

We've had Suki 2 weeks now and she is doing well with toilet training, only having the odd accident now.

She sleeps quite happily in her crate in the room next to our bedroom, although we do leave the crate door open.

The problem arises when we leave her on her own for any length of time. I've been making sure I don't lavish her with attention all the time and have regular periods where I leave her to it when she'll usually go to sleep for a couple of hours.

However, if I leave the room for longer than about half an hour, she gets really quite distressed. It's causing some diarrhea too which is not good. I've tried leaving her a kong stuffed with food but she seems to forget about it as soon as she realises she's on her own. I've also tried spraying DAP spray on her bed to calm her but she still gets herself in a tiz.

Any advice would be appreciated as it's causing much anxiety for me too when I'm out and all I can think about is getting home asap! I want her to be a happy puppy and not worry when we're not home.

PS. Can I just make clear that we don't leave her for long periods of time at all, but sometimes you do need to pop to the shops or whatever!

2. staflove

staflove PetForums VIP

Not a nice thing my staffie had it and ate my house, you are doing every thing right by ignoring when you leave i would leave for 5 mins and then return keep doing this and priasing when you go back in, gradually leave it longer and longer what ever you do please dont shout or get frustrated if you come home and she as done somthing as this will only make things worse not only will she suffer when you go but will be worried when you return it is very hard to stay calm but you have to, when you think the problem is sorted dont take advantage cos it can take months even years if you need more advice im happy to help my dog had severe seperation axiiety and it can be done trust me it just takes time im studing to be a behaviourist and il help were ever i can good luck :)

3. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

My eldest Bichon used to suffer from seperation anxiety even if I only left him for 25 minutes he would wee and poo in the kitchen where I left him. I couldn't take him because I had to take my daughter into school and he couldn't come in and I would never leave him tied outside or he would have screamed the place down.:rolleyes:

I would leave him in the kitchen with a baby gate up and the door open so he didn't feel shut in but it didn't make any difference. It went on for quite a number of months and he used to get really worked up and all wet round his mouth.

When he was older I decided to trust him and let him have the run of the house and he's been great since then - although you couldn't really do this with a puppy. He likes to sit on the back of the chair looking though the window for our return.:rolleyes:

Have you tried leaving a radio on for her?

4. Sazzer

Sazzer PetForums Newbie

I do leave the TV on for her so there's some background noise.

I'll give it a try leaving her for small amounts of time and building it up.

I'd never get angry at her, I normally just feel very guilty when I get back and she's all forlorn, as if she thinks she's been naughty and thats why she got left on her own, bless her!

5. Sazzer

Sazzer PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your replies by the way, its nice to know other people have had the same problem and managed to solve it.

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

my dogs have the cbbc's tele left on for them, or a radio for background noise, spoilt they are mind, I find it do help them. My Suki who is now 8 half used to do the same thing, I used to ignore her as long as she had some food, been to toilet etc then i knew she was ok, so left her cry but just going into there room as if to do something BUT ignoring her and then leave again. She will get used to it bless her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice