Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seperation Anxiety - Help!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by staffiedog, Jan 3, 2012.

1. staffiedog

staffiedog PetForums Newbie

We have had our Staffie for about 3 weeks now.We rehomed him from a women who rescued him as someone had tied him to church&left him,she had him for 10 months.After a few days he settled well..He's 1 1/2 yrs old&is good when we both tell him commands,food&sleeping.Me&my partner disicpline him the same.In the past few days he has become attached to my other half.We have a downstairs room which my other half uses as a computer room.When he goes downstairs the dog sits by the door&whines&cries even when im still in the room!I try&play with him to distract him&bond with him..give him toys,try&take him out for a walk but as soon as we get back he cries by the door again&when i went to sit next to him to make him feel safe etc he just walks away from me&sat on the sofa..when i moved to the sofa to comfort him, he moved back to the door again! it's like i cant win! As soon as my partner comes back he's back to normal.I end up getting upset. Can anyone help me at all?Thank you x

2. leashedForLife

this isn't Sep-Anx.

the primary symptom of Sep-Anx is an effort to ESCAPE to find & re-join the missing person -
    or often, any person; who is immaterial, just that there's a human presence.

Scratching doors, floors, ripping up lino, chewing hunks out of window-sills, breaking out of [cheap
    plastic or WIRE show-crates, rather than proper shipping AKA airline-crates], & similar acts of panic
    & destruction, which may include damage to the dog: torn claws, torn pads, broken teeth, splinters
    in their gums or palate, etc.

i'd focus on making myself more-attractive [i'd feed the dog meals, by the spoonful at first -
    SIT, plop, SIT, plop, etc, onto a saucer; i'd TRAIN the dog & make it fun and rewarding;
    i'd play tug, play fetch, offer a toy on a flirt-pole or rope to chase, etc].

putting the dog on an UMBILICAL so that he cannot go hang by the door is another option, altho that's
    management, not 'deepening the dog's attachment & providing interesting alternate-activities',
    which would be my preference: Build the bond, vs simply stop the whining. ;)

Dogs are, however, prone to choose their own favorite person.
    U may remain 2nd-best, despite making a genuine effort to connect. U can only try.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice