Separation anxiety? Please help

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Syko12345, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Syko12345

Syko12345 PetForums Newbie

Hi

Sorry for the long post and if its in the wrong area.

Myself and my partner have lived together for a year and often look after her mother’s 6 year old dog. Often staying with us for weeks at a time. The dog is walked in the morning and then left for a max of 5 hours before my partner returns from work. We recently bought a camera to keep an eye on the dog while we are at work And we were suprised to see that our dog sits on the windowsill not relaxed gazing outside waiting for us to return. After about 3-4 hours the dog starts walking around the house crying and howling (something we have never heard him do before). When one of us returns everything is back to normal and we a met with crazy excitement.

We have tried toys, kongs, food but none seem to distract the dog and he never relaxes until we get back.

We decided to set the camera up at my partners mothers property to see what he was like and noticed that when he is left there by my partners parents, the dog relaxes, sleeps and makes no noises unless someone is at the door.

When we last visited the in-laws, myself and my partner were alone with the dog, took it on a walk and then left to drive to our home (an hours drive away). We logged into the camera and noticed he was not relaxed and started crying and howling again.

It’s safe to say that myself and my partner are the dogs “favourite” and when we are all under one roof the dog follows us, stays with us etc.

Have you got any ideas to help? Happy to answer any questions

Thank you

2. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

If the dog is happy and relaxed when left in his own home (which I presume is your partner's parent’s home), then he most likely doesn't have separation anxiety. He's clearly unsettled though. Is he clingy when he is at your house?

3. Syko12345

Thanks for the reply bearcub.

I would say he is clingy when at our house. For example if I am upstairs and want to fetch a drink he will always follow me downstairs even if he is very relaxed or chilling or if I am on the computer he will want to lay on the windowsill next to me or lay on the bed with my partner.

4. Syko12345

We are looking after him for 3 weeks from today. Any help anyone?

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

If he settles for a few hours before getting anxious, is it possible to either get a Dog Walker to split the alone time or you and OH to tweak your hours to reduce the alone time?

Avoid days at the weekend when you might stay in and he has company 24/7 as this can cause them to take a backward step on Monday. (I found this with my lurcher.)

Ensure he is left for at least a short time every day to avoid this.

Try leaving the to or radio on so he has "company" and outside noises won't affect him.