Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Separation anxiety at night?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Stephiib14, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Stephiib14

Stephiib14 PetForums Junior

Hi again all!
    I've recently had to change things at home and the dogs are no longer allowed upstairs, I have a gate across there now.
    The problem is that when I go to bed, my dog will bark, not constantly but repeatedly for as long as an hour, and will then bark again during the night if I cough/wake up and go to the toilet etc.
    I've seen Kong's etc used to treat separation anxiety during the day but ideally I don't want to be using food in the middle of the night because I don't want to cause him the need to toilet inside...
    Do you wonderful people have any ideas that could help me?

2. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

That's a shame that you have had to change things for your dogs. Is there no workable solution where they could sleep nearer to you, even if not in your room? If not, have you tried giving them an old t shirt or blanket that smells like you? I would also work on making wherever they sleep a nice place to be. They might not need to toilet in the middle of the night if given a Kong - my girl has a chicken wing every night when she goes to bed and she never needs to toilet overnight.

Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Did you wean them off you gradually over time (sleeping downstairs with them for a couple of weeks) moving away without them getting anxious?

If not, I’d go back to the start and get them settled without any upset.

Sairy, Mum2Heidi and Stephiib14 like this.
  4. Stephiib14

While my ex partner lived here they happily slept in their crates with their beds, after he moved out they slept with me again but they began urinating upstairs so I've had to rip up all the carpets and financially putting laminate down isn't an option right now, I mean my scent should be on the sofa blanket in the living room which he has had access to on two nights but he seemed to settle much better in his crate, should I put a jumper or something in with him tonight? X

5. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

You could try putting the jumper in with him. It might be trial and error. Can you move the crate nearer to you upstairs?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Stephiib14

Excuse the background mess! It was my daughter's birthday yesterday! But this little guy has been a life saver! My jumper didn't help but we play with crocodile before bed, takes it to bed and then we play in the morning and then the toy goes away for the day... He has settled well every night so far :)

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice