Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Separating kittens after neutering/spaying

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Loren95, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Loren95

Loren95 PetForums Junior

my male and female kitten are booked in to be neutered and spayed in a few weeks. They are both under six months and are inseparable. I understand that I may have to separate them for a while so they don’t get at each other’s stitches. The problem is they are always together and even if they’re in separate rooms one of them will cry for the other one. I don’t know how I could separate them as this will really stress them out. At the same time though, they do like to play a lot by wrestling and chasing each other around, and they groom each other a lot so they could end up hurting the other or pulling out they’re stitches. How long do I need to separate them for? And has anyone left theirs together and they’ve been ok? Thanks

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Loren95, I have always had pairs of kittens and always had them neutered at the same time. I have never separated them at all after their neutering ops and they have been fine.

The first 24 hours after their ops your kittens may be a bit subdued, though plenty are not and are racing around within a few hours of getting home!

I suggest you keep a close eye on them at first to see if either of them are trying to groom their own or the other one's wound area. If it is a problem then you may need to separate them when you can't be there to supervise them, until the wounds are healed. This probably applies more to the female than the male, a spay wound generally being larger than the wound from a castration.

Loren95 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice