Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Separating 2 Dogs - Adopter Question

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by MeganMayy1, Mar 2, 2019.

1. MeganMayy1

MeganMayy1 PetForums Newbie

I brought home a beautiful 7 year old blonde chihuahua last week who I have fallen in love with. She came from a home with another chihuahua who is 2 years old, the owner was selling the dogs because her son is highly allergic to the dog hair. She tried rehoming them together but to no avail. I couldn't take them both on as I only have a small flat so decided to take my girl Lola alone. A week has gone by and she is settling in nicely, she is eating but not her usual 3 meals a day. She is playing, enjoying our walks, snuggling on the sofa and showing other positive signs of settling. I am happy with how she is getting on especially after seeing the vet who didn't seem concerned at all.

Bombshell hits this evening though, the lady who I bought her from wants her back as the other dog isn't doing so well, he's not eaten or drank for 3 days and is constantly pining.

I love my girl so much and it breaks my heart when I think about letting her go. So I guess my question is, should I give her back for the other dogs sake or should I stand my ground and say no? Will the other dog adjust eventually? Would be selfish of me to keep my girl?

Ps. The first photo is the day we got her and the second was taken this evening.

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Well, presumably the allergy thing is still a problem so she’ll need to rehome them both again anyway.

I’d be inclined to offer to take the other dog (for free) so they are both happy.

2 chi’s can’t take up much room and so long as I could afford it I’d keep them together.

I’d also get her to sign a document stating they have been transferred to my ownership - especially if they are microchipped with her details.

Summercat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice