Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sensitive tummy food recommendations

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Magic griffle, May 23, 2020 at 8:12 AM.

1. Magic griffle

Magic griffle PetForums Newbie

Morning,

Bit of long one sorry!

My kitten is 10wks old. We have had her for 2wks. She had diarrhoea as soon as she arrived to us. I kept her on the same diet. Anyway, had a phone consultation with the vet 2 days later and she was put on a diet of boiled chicken, a probiotic and worming treatment. 2 days later the frequency was slowing but stools were runnier. She was also so sore. I was cleaning her at this point. We went back to the vet and this time got seen. She was put on Royal Canin for 3 days and given a tablet for her tummy. Within 24hrs there was a huge improvement and other than the sore bottom everything else had resolved. I bought more of what the vet prescribed to give her more time and to slowly move her off.

However, we are now seeing loose stools. Healthy in colour but slightly smellier. I have also noticed small spots of blood which we experienced with the previous episode. My partner (trying to be helpful) has fed her twice with just the new food and I wonder if this is the cause of the food itself? We have been weaning for 3/4days.

Can anyone recommend a food for kittens that is better for sensitive tummies?

I am keeping a close eye On her.
    TIA

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Magic griffle - it sounds as though the new food is not suiting her. Is it dry food or wet? I wouldn't feed dry food to a kitten who has had diarrhoea.

She needs a bland diet for a few days to rest her bowel. As she did not seem to get on with the plain home cooked chicken, I would try her with poached white fish. Serve chopped up with a couple of dessert spoons of the juices (stock) so she gets the fluids she needs. Tesco sells bags of frozen pollock (normally) which is not too expensive and is well liked by my cats. If not, coley, cod or haddock will be fine.

White fish is soothing to the bowel, and slows down peristalsis. Feed her 4 meals a day. Chances are she won't pass stools for a few days. When she passes a formed stool, you can start transferring her slowly to cat food - wet food only. Take about 3 days to make the full transfer back to cat food.

As for cat foods to transfer her to, I would suggest something gentle such as Animonda Vom Feinstens; Baby Pate or Kitten food from Zooplus. My girls had bowel problems when I adopted them 7 yrs ago and they were OK on this food. (in their case stool samples tested at the lab found they had overgrowth of pure E.coli in their intestines, which needed antibiotic therapy).

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/kitten_products/kitten_wet_food/animonda/174353

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/kitten_products/kitten_wet_food/animonda/14012

The kittens at the Shelter where I volunteer are fed on Felix AGAIL Kitten food, and seem to do well on it, so I don't know if it is worth trying that if you prefer not to order from Zooplus.

If the bland diet does not stop the diarrhoea, then the next step would probably be to collect poo samples from 3 different days and have them tested at the lab for intestinal parasites or infections. Which wormer did the vet give you - was it Panacur?

3. Magic griffle

Thank you so much!

She is on wet only. She was originally on a mix but because of the diarrhoea I have never given dry to her because I was worried about dehydration.

Worming tablet is called milbemax. The second vet I saw wanted to her to do a 3 day course but couldn’t because this had been administered.

Today I haven’t let my partner near the cat food! I have basically started again with more old food (Royal Canin) and a bit of new. Only one poo this morning (before I posted) and nothing else today. Hoping it was a case of too much too soon.

Thanks for the food recommendations. If this doesn’t settle (i’ll go to vet) or if it does and then starts again i’ll try one of those.

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes, Milbemax is a good broad spectrum worming treatment. Half a tablet is the dose for a kitten under 6 months old as I recall. :)

5. Magic griffle

She had half and has another 1/2 in month. The signs of possible worms have gone. She is very happy in herself. I’m just pleased it’s slowed today. Last week was horrible for her bless her. 20l of litter and sheqas so sore x

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice