Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Senior Kitty After Dental work...

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by NadiaTyne, Oct 24, 2019.

1. NadiaTyne

NadiaTyne PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and desperately looking for some advice. 2 days ago my 12 year old female kitty went for some dental work as she was struggling with eating, pawing at the mouth and I noticed her breath was terrible. I took her to the vets and they decided that she needed a oral clean and scale with maybe teeth extraction. In the end she ended up having the clean and 2 molars taken away. Once home from the vets she was groggy to be expected but she went downstairs and had a full plate of wet food to my joy! The next day wasn't as good, she seemed to be in pain (which I do expect) and didn't really eat anything, she was excited to get to the food, attempted then would stop. This morning she has had a bit more to eat, but I noticed this time she made a few grinding noises like she is grinding her teeth, also she gagged a few times, not actually being sick but kinda like a gag reflex. Is this normal after tooth extraction? I know its only been 2 days but I am such a worrier! I put these symptoms online and it came up with mouth cancer!! She does make a strange sound when she eats as well, this is something she had before the surgery but I assumed it was just due to the teeth and inflammation. The sound is almost like an inhaling sound? that's the best way I can describe it. She also snores which seems to be connected to oral cancers...

Am I being a bit too hasty and worrying too much? Any advice greatly appreciated <3

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hi, it's commonfor cats to eat much better after dental treatment. Did she make the grinding noises or snoring noises before? How long has she been snoring? One of mine Poppy snores more than the others ever do but that's normal for her. The grinding and gagging might be that she felt pain by chewing near the site of her dental work, where she may still have inflammation and stitches. If she never did that before the dental cleaning I would expect that is a temporary thing, but contact your vet if you are worried.

3. NadiaTyne

Thank you for your reply I really appreciate it! The snoring she has been on and off for a while before the surgery (2 years or so), she is a big kitty weighing 5kg so slightly overweight. The grinding wasn't something she's ever done so that was completely new, I have been given some pain relief in the form of liquid with a syringe but she is terrible at taking any sort of meds, I managed to give her some last night but probably not the full dose as she is so terrible at taking it. She has been sneezing sometimes too, nothing major maybe twice or 3 times a day since the surgery. She seems ok in herself, purring, not sleeping any more than usual etc.

4. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

It does sound as though your girl is in pain which should not be the case if she has meds. Is the liquid Metacam? if so, it should be given with food. If it is Vetergesic or another form of Buprenorphine, it should be dropped on her gum or under her tongue. It will not work if she swallows it.

5. NadiaTyne

The meds they gave is Loxicom to be given with a syringe, she hates it! but shes always been like that when taking meds.I have to give it once a day, and it would appear I have about 3 days worth

6. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Loxicom is the same drug as Metacam. Would she take it in a small amount of food? I hate the smell, but my cats seem to like the taste so she may be resisting simply because it is administered by syringe. It must be given just before or with food to avoid side effects.

7. NadiaTyne

Aww I never knew that, the vet mentioned nothing about having to take it with food to me. He said I could try it in food to try and get her to have it but as shes really fussy he said just administer it by the syringe. The day after the surgery I tried it in food along with antibiotics as well, she was given this as she vomited when getting sedated and they were concerned about aspiration pneumonia, they assured me they dont think she inhaled anything and that it was just a precaution. They said I could put both of these in the food at the same time, so I did, but she didn't touch it. I'm thinking maybe with both of them in it it was too much, so tonight I might just try it in her food without the antibiotic, however if she doesn't touch it then i am left with a kitty that hasn't had it and not much left to give from the bottle :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice