Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Senior Dog Wont Walk on Lead

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jazzybird, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Jazzybird

Jazzybird PetForums Junior

We have a 13yr old Labrador Bitch who absolutely refuses to walk on lead. Off lead through a wood or over the fields she is fine for her age and still chases after our 5 yr old Lab. This means that pavement walks are off limits which is a problem on days when the car is not available to go to the woods. She is on YouMove and has no problem with her mobility but as I said refuses to walk on the pavement.
    Any advice?

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'd get a vet check. Dogs are great at hiding pain. At 13 she almost 100% will have arthritis, even if it's mild. It could be that the hard surface is hard on her joints and she dislikes it. Could be that the pace is too fast when on the hard surface, could be dementia at her age too.
    Have you tried a nice comfy harness and longer lead to allow her more space to move and change up the picture a bit? Change the routine and equipment and she might see it differently.

3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

In addition to all the excellent suggestions above, look at her nail length. Longer nails can be painful on old dogs and pavement will be more so than softer surfaces like in the woods. That and oldies tend to grow more, harder nail that doesn't wear down as easily, they can easily end up with too long nails that are painful to walk on. I know I have to stay very on top of my old guy's nails because even a little bit too long makes a big difference with him.

4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Do you use a collar or harness? Could be that she has pain in her neck and finds on lead walks painful if you use a collar.

Lurcherlad, Torin. and Sarah H like this.
  5. Jazzybird

Jazzybird PetForums Junior

Thanks for all your kind suggestions. She has a Julius K9 harness that she is very comfortable with. I did check her nails (and pads) but they look fine and do not appear to give her any pain. Whilst she does have arthritis she is on the YouMove so that again is not a massive impediment. Only this morning she jumped into the back of our estate car and then whilst on her run in the woods was quite happy chasing our other lab. So movement itself is not really the issue. Its really only the end of a hour walk that she slows down during the ever slower trudge back to the carpark. But other times show her the pavement and she just sits down and refuses to budge. Even ignores treats. It does have me scratching my head.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d ask the vets about pain meds.

If it’s before a walk she could be stiff and sore before she gets going.

After an hour running about then she could be feeling the effects of the exercise.

My own dog turns into a slug if we turn for home too soon on a walk though ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice