Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Senior dog fussy eating/whining

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by queenofbruises, Sep 17, 2018.

1. queenofbruises

queenofbruises PetForums Newbie

Hiya,

I have a lab/staffie cross who's about 13 now. No major problems throughout her life, just always been a bit of a wuss! As with a lot of senior dogs she's got lots of lumps all over her but the ones we've had tested we're told are just fatty lumps.
    So for the past several months (maybe up to a year) on and off she's been super fussy with her food. She gets a shortish walk in the morning (30-45 minutes - she won't walk any more than that, it really knackers her out now), then gets a few biscuits (a mix of mini Bonios and similar things) afterwards, followed by a dental/joint chew; about lunch time she gets a homemade biscuit (those oatey ones with apple sauce and cheese). She then gets her main meal in the afternoon - a mix of dry (Nature's Table) and wet food (Naturo Grain Free/Senior), mixed in water.
    She went off her morning biscuits for a while, so we gave her a small amount of the wet food instead which she liked for a bit and has now gone off. She's also doing the same with her main meal so we tried reducing the amount of dry food, upped the wet food and even mixed in some plain, scrambled egg, which she loved for about a week. She now will only have the liquid in her main meal and will leave the majority of the actual food.

She still whines for about an hour before her main meal is due (we do it the same time every day), even when she doesn't eat. She then seems to whine a lot in the afternoon as well, after dinner and even in the evenings. It's not a pain kind of whine, just that general, impatient whine dogs sometime do. But seems to be getting worse lately.

Also she seems to happily eat the occasional titbit we give her though - and can I add this isn't a regular occurrence!

So do we just have a really fussy dog? We've tried a variety of different dog foods with her, and most only seem to stick for a little while before she doesn't eat them anymore. Has anyone had similar issues and has found a long term solution? Would we be better just to give her plain chicken and rice and things like that rather than actual dog food?

We're loathed to take her to the vets, and she's not losing weight really. Her business seems to be on and off normal and...slightly looser. But it doesn't seem to bother her.

Sorry for long post! Any help appreciated.

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Could it be dental pain?

Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Dental pain was my first thought too.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

If you are worried then you do have to get her checked at the vets. There could be an issue with her teeth as has been mentioned and this is easily rectified. Or she could be showing early signs of cognitive impairment (doggy dementia). This means that she isn't always managing to think things through. Whining inappropriately is sometimes a sign.

As for what to feed her, well if she'll eat a homemade diet of chicken and rice or fish with a few extras then why not. My oldies have always had a few more things that they liked. But have a chat with your Vet so they can do a little check over and then take it from there ......all our old dogs have needed a little extra care.

J

Lurcherlad and queenofbruises like this.
  5. queenofbruises

We had her teeth checked and cleaned earlier this year so unlikely?

6. queenofbruises

I was thinking early dementia, she does pace around the house a lot more, and takes her longer to settle in the evenings.
    I think my mum is loathed to take her to the vets as she doesn't want them to open her up and put her through all of that. But I think we might have to take her if we can't get to eat properly again.

She seems to eat some doggie treats she doesn't regularly get so I think we'll try mixing things up a bit more for her.

7. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

If she’s been checked over for pain (tummy as well as dental) and she’s been given a clean bill of health, then it may be a case of feeding her what she’ll eat. I have a 13yo dog, the first dog I’ve had to this age, and as he’s gotten into old age I’ve found I’ve got a very “what he wants, he can have” attitude. They’re old, what’s a little extra food going to do (within reason, obviously), or to cook them something they prefer. I figure they deserve a little pampering in their golden years :)

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with @Kimmikins , they do need a bit of extra tlc in their golden years. Luckily my old Dachshund loves food to the point of obsession but that's a small problem in itself.
    She's become a bit whiney lately , frustrating as I can't always work out what she wants.
    You might find our Oldies thread useful.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/oldie-support-thread.488431/

9. queenofbruises

I agree! :)

Kimmikins likes this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Look in the bargain bucket at the supermarket for knock down mince, chicken etc. and cook it up with rice and a bit of veg and gravy and see if she’ll enjoy that.

Even the odd sausage won’t hurt at her age ;)

SusieRainbow likes this.
  11. queenofbruises

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately last week we took her to the vets a couple of times and it turns out she had a large tumour, which was most likely the cause of the lack of eating and whining so unfortunately we had to put her to sleep.

We have always spoilt her rotten, and she definitely enjoyed the "human food" ws tried her with recently. She also had a wonderful week adventuring in Snowdonia a few days before.

Thanks again for all your help, so glad she is at peace now x

12. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

Really sorry for your loss xx

13. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

So sorry you lost your old girl. You showed her such love and saved her from any more suffering.

14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Very sad - so sorry for your loss.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice