Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Senior dog advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Speedyjax, May 8, 2017.

1. Speedyjax

Speedyjax PetForums Newbie

hi, I'm new to this forum and going straight in with a post.

My family have just bought a house and my mother in law has just moved in with her dog too. She's a lovely dog, must be about 11 now as she was about 2 when my husband and I got together. Anyway, at my mother in laws she never really got walked very much, and because the garden wasn't secure and she would escape so never got to run around much.

I am after some advice as to how much exercise we should give her. She is a black Lab X German Shepherd, both breeds that commonly get hip dysphasia. So far, a few years ago apparently she got a bit of a stiff hip but didn't get worse. She has been living with us just less than a week and we've gone straight into 2 walks a day of about 20-30mins each. She seems to be enjoying herself and apart from the odd limp from stepping on a stone, there's no complaints. She does spend most of her day then resting/sleeping, so I'm just worrying whether it's too much?! And obviously I'm loathe to increase too much in case of exasperating any imminent ailments.

It's my first time owning/being in charge of a dog, horses are much more my thing

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I don't think you're doing too much.

So long as she's enjoying herself and keen for her walks, that's good.

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome
    I think your doing about right, You could always slip another shorter walk in if you feel she's up to it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice