Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Senior cat food

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tezwik, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

i need a really good quality senior cat food that's easy on the stomach for a 17 year old cat who's prone to vomiting. Can anyone suggest anything? I've been thinking about applaws as I've seen it online, the cat I'm looking after has a really small appetite & hardly even eats one pouch of food a day but I think that may be due to it no being a senior food and is too heavy thus causing the vomiting too.

2. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

@Tezwik there are several sorts of food that would be good but do you know why the cat is vomiting in the first place?

Applaws is like shredded chicken but isn't complete so it is best fed as a treat food. What sort of consistency food does the cat like? Jelly? Pate? There is a nice cat food at Pets at Home called Seriously Good, it's quite expensive but it is shredded chicken in a clear-ish jelly and my two hoover it up lol. Also Miamor sensitive are little foil trays from Zooplus

3. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

The vet ran loads of tests on Wednesday & also sedated her for X-rays etc and said they simply can't find anything to explain the vomiting unless it's the food being too heavy in her tummy. She's a foster cat & came to me 3 weeks ago and has had a very nasty eye infection and is on antibiotics for that & has been a sickly cat since the day she arrived with me. On Wednesday I was told to give her a wet only diet and a good quality food which is either a pate or mashed after this weekend, so at the moment she's on boiled white fish & boiled chicken. I have brought in a couple of tins of ASDA own brand cat mousse complete food to give her but I'd rather give her something better quality

Ali71 likes this.
  4. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

If the cat likes Applaws what about something like canagan? It is very similar (not senior) but is complete.

5. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

I've not yet tried her on applaws, I've got her on white fish at the moment to try & settle her tummy, I was just wondering if there's a complete food out there that's light on their tummies.

6. Emmasian

Emmasian PetForums VIP

Freya can suffer with a sensitive tummy and when it flares up she gets on well with James Welbeloved pouches which are single protein, grain free. The consistency is more small pieces in gravy though, so not sure if your girl would like that?

7. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

I will give it a go, I will get a couple of pouches and see if it helps settle her tummy, I'd love to know what it is that triggers her poorly tummy

8. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

It may be that your new foster cat is nervous. I remember when Betty first came to us, she was thin and malnourished, and had a lot of food anxiety, which she never truly got over. At first, she would eat and eat and eat, very quickly and would vomit, as she stuffed herself.
    If she only wants to eat boiled chicken and fish, you can get additives that give her the supplements she needs. Our Holly is quite fussy (although she is getting better), and will often only eat raw meat or a home-made chicken broth I make for her. I add this to her raw/cooked food: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860
    She doesn't eat raw all the time, but the percentage I give her is high enough that she needs the supplement.

Sounds daft, but how are her teeth? Can she chew properly? I don't know if this would be true or not, but if she can't chew, would some foods be a bit heavy on her tummy? I don't know if this would make any difference or not, but it's just a thought.
    Maybe you could try something soft? Like a pate-style?

What's the name of your new cat, and do you have any pictures?

9. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

She's only got 3 teeth! The vet checked her teeth and said that the 3 she has are in ok condition and doesn't need any treatment. I did wonder if she had overloaded her tummy because of being a foster and coming from a rescue centre. I was advised by the vet to feed approx 6 very small meals a day slowly reducing to 3 regular sized meals, she's quite petite and weighs in at 3.7kg so despite being unwell she's gaining weight as when she came to me 3 weeks ago she only weighed 3.5kg. I've brought her cat milk to try and help her bones and the 3 remaining teeth stay healthy.

Soozi likes this.
  10. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Aww, the poor love. x I hope she settles down with her tummy soon. x

11. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_2949.JPG

Here's a couple of pictures of the little lady

Gwen9244, Jesthar, Matrod and 3 others like this.
  12. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

My old lady , also 17, doesn't like senior food. She has Lily's Kitchen Whisker licking chicken , her favourite, it's a pate texture, Fish4Cats tins and Felix as Good as IT Gets. I sometimes give her some Gourmet broth late evening, she loves those, and grazes on dry Iams over the day.
    You might find the broths go down well, the Fish4Cats is flaky .Luckily Georgia seems to have a fairly robust constutution but she is quite fussy.

Ali71 likes this.
  13. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Aww she's lovely @Tezwik, looks like she enjoys a cuddle! Always a bonus :) I've thought of another one, Hi-Life tempt me - chicken and jelly, goes down well here

14. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

She's so adorable, @Tezwik
    When our Betty was poorly last year, and had a poorly mouth, she loved those broths. They're very light, and only a complementary food, but there were better than nothing.

Attached Files:

• th.jpeg
      th.jpeg
      File size:
      11.5 KB
      Views:
  15. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

She does love her cuddles, she's quite poorly in that first picture, that's the night I sat up all night with her lol I've noticed she can manage her food better when mashed than when it's left lumpy, so I think pate type food is the best way forward for her.

16. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Gourmet gold pâté seems to be a popular treat food here and all my oldies enjoyed it.
    Could you ask vet about Famotidine to use as an anti acid to settle her tummy?

17. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

The vet gave her some anti sickness injections & said if it continues I could be taught how to administer them but they wanted to see if it settles down on its own. She's a massive lick e lix fan so tablets wouldn't be a problem getting them into her, I need to make another appt for this week for a review for her so I will discuss the anti sickness medication route with them again

Jackie C and Paddypaws like this.
  18. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

Felix senior as good as it gets doubly delicious has stayed in for the past 24 hours, I know it's not the best quality food but it's one step closer to getting her feeling better as it's the first solid meal I've not had to mash up to a pulp and hasn't made her vomit!

Jackie C likes this.
  19. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

She's 17, I think you should let her eat what she wants. :) As long as she's eating something that is "complete" and that she can digest.

Ahh, lick-e-lix, I've never met a cat who didn't like them!

20. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

@Jackie C my other cat won't eat the lick e lix he turns his nose up at them lol he turns his nose up just about everything that's not a dry food, he's a total nightmare to feed! He's currently eating aldi healthy balance but before that it was go cat! He quickly goes off food so I'm forever hunting for something new for him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice