Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Senior Cat Food Options (Joint care options?)

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kalepunx, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Kalepunx

Kalepunx PetForums Newbie

Hi!
    I'm back to owning a cat for the first time in a while. I used to be a member on this forum years ago & got some really great advice for my last elderly kitty, (seriously, I'm so glad this forum is still here!) but I can't seem to get into my account or find the threads :(
    We've rather hurriedly taken in an older lady from a shelter, she's 16 & has severe arthritis, was found as a Stray and has some coat issues (though the bits she'll tolerate being brushed are coming up shiny as anything so I think it's more that she's not been able to clean herself from unhandled arthritis & living outside than anything internal)

I quickly ordered everything we needed for her from Zooplus and grabbed the Animonda Carny Von Feinsten Senior, but have just seen it didn't make it into the "good" food thing on the stickied master post. She's taken to them, except the Beef flavour which she won't touch, and of course all the regular Animonda Carny Senior range ones are Beef & ...

Can anyone advise if a senior diet is as necessary when you're actually feeding good foods over the Felix etc crap, as far as I can remember I didn't feed my last old lady anything senior specific, but she had tummy issues so sensitive was really the priority there!

Thanks,
    Kale

2. Kalepunx

Where else can I shop for good brands? What do you all do now that Happy Kitty Company is closed?
    That made me really sad to find out :(

chillminx likes this.
  3. Pixie_Tinker_Bell

Pixie_Tinker_Bell PetForums Senior

Hi there, welcome back to the forum.

I'm not great with knowing what exactly is good food for cats, I take the advice of others on the forum who know more than me! When I was looking at what to feed though I was advised that as long as the food is good quality both my kitten and my elderly cat could eat the same food. Which means it should be fine for your new lady to eat non senior foods. I have no idea if arthritis would require any altered diet at all so hopefully someone else will see this and help offer advice on that issue.

Well done on adopting an older lady who sounds like she needs a good bit of tlc, and sounds like she's getting it as well! We'd love to see a picture or two if you have any?

chillminx likes this.
  4. I'm no expert on the fine-tuning of cats' diets. I know there are many on here who will have sound advice. When I read your post, my thoughts were (after being very pleased to hear that an old cat now has a good home) that she must be tough as old boots to have made it this far, though I don't know how long she had been stray. You seem to know what the good foods are, so I would think maybe just give her the ones she enjoys of those, with occasional oily fish to oil her from the inside out. If cats are anything like humans as they age, they may prefer, and be more suited to, blander food, i.e. not too rich. Just my thoughts, not advice.

#4 Deleted member 1482176, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2018
  5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I know people have good results with Green Lipped mussel extract for arthritic cats but you may also need to consider use of Metacam if she is in pain.
    Food wise, plenty of options on zooplus and I would add canned oily fish, cooked chicken etc as additional meals or snacks. I’m a big fan of raw especially to build up a frail cat and mine all like a little duck or goose fat added to meals or offered on a spoon

chillminx likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with Paddypaws, Green Lipped Mussel Extract (I use Yumove by Lintbells) contains a high level of Omega 3 which is anti-inflammatory and can be helpful in cases of arthritis. I give it to one of my cats who has mild arthritis in one leg as a result of an old injury. It definitely helps his mobility.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YuMOVE-Joi...TF8&qid=1545483477&sr=8-3&keywords=yumove+cat

But as PP says, a cat with severe arthritis is likely to need regular pain management such as Metacam, or perhaps Vetergesic.

Yes, it was a sad day for me too when The Happy Kitty Co closed down. :( . Since then I buy cat food from Zooplus, Zoo-bio.co.uk, Alltails, Simpsons.and occasionally splash out on an order from Fuettern-mit-spass (great choice of foods, but expensive delivery cost)

As the others have said, there is no need to feed your older lady "senior" cat foods. I have never fed any of my past elderly cats any senior foods. Providing they had good kidney function I used to increase their protein intake by giving them a little home cooked meat alongside their cat food, as it helped to maintain muscle mass.

Paddypaws likes this.
  7. Kalepunx

Thanks for the replies & suggestions folks :D
    We started her on YuMove as soon as she arrived, and she's now on Metacam too.
    She's so stiff that the vets were unable to take a Blood Sample, and we're returning them a urine sample after the holidays, but both of us & our vets decided she couldn't continue without it, and quality of life is much more important for her.
    And she's really settling in and the painkillers are help she's done her first little jumps across furniture, and starting to act much more cat-like in general. (We ordered pet steps to help her with getting up to the bed etc almost right away)

My main concern right now is that she really doesn't eat much, She's 2.8kg, and a healthy weight, but we're lucky if she'll eat 100g of the food per day :/ (though there is also usually some canned sardines or other fish added in with this) We're feeding 3 times per day, with about 5-6 hours in between.

And of course, a pic of her :) All the photos on my laptop she's asleep...

Attached Files:

8. Kalepunx

Oh & We're feeding a mix of Bozita (Hair & Skin) and Animonda Carny along with the Animonda Carny Von Feinsten Senior now :)
    In regards to healthy treats, we're vegan so suuuuck at handling meat,so so far it's been all dreamies.
    Is there any particular brands I should be checking out? :)

9. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

If you wish to feed your old lady oily fish, Sainsbury does small tins of sardines in spring water (own brand)
    For treats, you can get freeze dried salmon from ZP, Wolf of Wilderness (in the dog section)

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The healthiest treats are the Thrive freeze dried pure protein treats. Cosma also make the same kind of treat - and both are available from Zooplus.

11. Kalepunx

We've found out that she has renal failure :(
    They've advised renal foods, but I'm not sure if thats actually the best option? I have so little trust with vets when it comes to nutrition :(

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The evidence does seem to support that the best way to manage CKD is by feeding a low protein renal diet. Unfortunately some cats refuse to eat the special diet, in which case there is the option to feed a normal diet and add a phosphate binder such as Ipakitine.

https://feline-nutrition.org/answers/answers-in-a-bind-over-phosphorus

It is a while since I last had a cat with CKD. You might like to have a look at Tanya's CRF website, as it is a great resource for up-to-date information and advice, regarding managing feline CKD.

https://www.felinecrf.org/

There is also an excellent online Support Group :

https://tanyackd.groups.io/g/support

13. Kalepunx

Thanks so much for the links, I know where I'm spending tonight

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice