Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Senior cat dental treatment - I'm worried!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by CrazyCatLady25, Sep 30, 2020.

1. CrazyCatLady25

CrazyCatLady25 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

My 16 year old female needs to have most of her teeth removed. I trust what the vet is saying so we're going ahead with it, but we're very worried.
    What should I expect with this? Is anybody able to share their experiences with getting their senior cat's teeth removed?

Thanks!

2. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

Hi @CrazyCatLady25, I’ve had two senior cats have their teeth removed in the past.,One due to a genetic problem and the other was mistreated in his previous home.
    My boy who was mistreated (fed the wrong things, general neglect) had the worst experience, he had a fair amount of bleeding afterwards that I had to call the vet out for, but they think that was more down to his overall health due to a bad diet. He soon healed up fine though.
    My girl had absolutely no problems whatsoever with removal. Soon after coming home she was eating fine and we had no bleeding at all.
    I know my experience with my boy sounds scary, but it was only the first day, and he was fine by the next, his case was also unusual. Both were able to eat biscuits as normal, and it had no negative long term effects at all. In fact they were both much more settled after

CrazyCatLady25 likes this.
  3. Linah4

Linah4 PetForums Newbie

Did you decide to move forward with the extractions? I have a similar (recent) experience with my 18 year old boy that i would love to share if you want to know about it?

4. CrazyCatLady25

CrazyCatLady25 PetForums Newbie

Hiya! In the end we didn't go ahead. After her blood test results the vet put forward her concerns with regard to the anaesthetic. Basically she's so healthy otherwise that the vet decided it wasn't worth the risk, and that if she had other health problems she would have risked it as the benefit would have outweighed the risk at that point.

She didn't write it off so we could have gone ahead, but my cat seems absolutely fine otherwise (not seemingly in pain) so we didn't want to put her through an operation just to prevent something which may not become anything much in the grand scheme of things.

I did look up other stories to try and calm my nerves, and I got loads and loads of positive replies on a Reddit post where so many people had their cat's teeth out and had no/barely any problems, so if you go ahead with it just try to be positive! It's so scary, I know, but you know what's best for your boy. Best of luck if you go ahead with it!

Linah4 likes this.
  5. Linah4

Linah4 PetForums Newbie

Hi there! I'm glad you made a decision and are comfortable with it - that's the most important thing! I had been struggling with this in January when I was told to do full mouth extractions, or to euthanize. The vet hadn't given me many options because his mouth was so severe. He hadn't been showing signs of pain but 6 months later he had started having issues eating and was lethargic more than less, and he had kidney disease. His problem was that his mouth was so infected that it couldn't really be controlled with antibiotics. I decided to go ahead with the full mouth extractions despite all of the risk because his quality of life was declining, and thankfully he fully recovered is going great now!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice