Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Senility in older dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nina, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I have always been a dog watcher. It is what I do in my everyday working life, and at home with my own dog Zak. Sadly, coming up to his 13th year has seen a rapid decrease in senses that he once took for granted.

He is now slow to rise, and his hearing is not as refined. Where once he would chase his old foe the squirrel, out of our garden, he now seldom hears or sees it. In fact I swear I caught that darn squirrel laughing at my old Zak and wondered just how long his old body could carry him.

Now medical problems are completely unfamiliar to me, so following much research I have discovered that my old Shepherd has CCD, otherwise known as Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. It is a dogs equivalent of Alzheimer's and to my utmost surprise, it seems there may be a way of slowing down the process. The drug is called selegiline, and has been shown to alleviate some of the symptoms.

It may not give him back his youth, but anything that affords us a little more time together is worth trying. I owe him this for the loyalty, and unconditional love he has always shown us and for the joy he continues to bring.

I have made this post for everyone with older dogs and who are experiencing the symptoms of CCD. This is my final act of caring and so each day is a special day for us both.

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

you saying that im sure sprinkle's lost a few bolts
    i know his getting a bit grumpy and slow well he is 11 going on 12 and his back legs are on the way out but still gets around and does speed up where foods involved
    BUT he has a thing of barking for no reason, take the otherday for no reason he was in the other room and just standing there looking at the wall barking ???????
    MAD OR WHAT

3. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

Like his owner then?
    I've come home and found you barking at the wall!

4. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hey
    you talk to yourself so watch it
    and in your sleep
    and you cant help it if you like sleeping down by the toilet :):):)

5. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

HAHAHAH!
    i was like five. :cool:

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Thats good news for dogs, do you know if it can be used on cats too ? I had an old cat whose behaviour became strange towards the end of her life, we thought she probably had some kind of cat senility, but didn't realise it was treatable.

7. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Good info Cheers!

8. Vixen

Vixen PetForums Junior

Useful info thanks:) Sorry to hear that your dogs age has finally caught up with him.

9. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I guess it happens to us all, its just the letting go that hurts.

10. Some elderly cats do get Alzheimer too.

11. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Absolutely Jenny. I always advise people to keep their elderly cats inside whenever they go away. Most cats are litter trained, and it prevents any confusion when returning to an empty house.

12. chris harding

chris harding PetForums Junior

That is amazing, i wish i had known about that medication over the last year or so. I lost my retriever aged 16 this easter, and his last year or so was daily decline. The hardest part was when you just knew that sometimes he didnt recognise you. But then often just laying a hand on his head and gently smoothing him seemed to calm him as it always had done. I agree, make every day special. We are lucky that they share their lives with us. Chris

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice