Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

senile cat!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by GSDlover4ever, Aug 13, 2009.

1. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

well i grew up with cats, i will be 20 now and one of the cats that i have had since she was a kitten is still here - she is 15/16 years old.
    she was the family cat, i recently moved out and took my dog with me - however Lucky kept getting injured by other animals outside as she had several cuts on her neck, this year.

she went to the vet and he said that it was to do with her immune system, she had an over active thyroid and she had to operation to sort that.

i also recently found out she was deaf.

she could scratch this until it bled and was red raw - i put breathable bandages on her which worked for a little while and my mum tried to keep her in - however she would escape.

well as i live in a flat i decided it would be best if she stayed with me, she has always been an indoor and outdoor cat - but i thought she would like her home comforts and lots of TLC.

yesterday was the first time she stayed at mine, and she was great - i even allowed her to sleep in the bed with me

Well today is a different story
    i gave her some food, she ate some then walked into the hall and started calling me, as cats do - i walked out to see if she was okay. obviously i couldn't shout on her because she can’t hear me but as soon as she saw me she came running. she went into the kitchen as i did the dishes and did the same thing again!

lately she has been walking about the house calling me as if she is a bit worried.
    she is meowing constantly, she has actually gave me a soar head she is meowing that much.

Now every time i look at her she starts meowing
    She is loving sitting on my lap as a type - she is purring away :)

any advise for little old lucky?

2. Vic81

Vic81 PetForums Member

My old cat did this when he went deaf, I don't think they realise how loud they're doing it because they can't hear themselves and I think that's why they do it more, if she's happy while you're around then she may be just trying to find out where you are as she can't hear you moving around :)

Timmy does this too (although he's not deaf, just very nervous) and will go running around meowing as if he's calling your name so you answer him and come running, he does it mainly if I've been out til late in the evening then I make a fuss of him and go into the bathroom and he starts meowing because he can't find me, as soon as he sees me he calms down, I think they're just trying to find out where we are, as long as she's happy and calms down quite quickly I wouldn't be too worried :)

3. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

the thing that was weird about it was that she new where i was - becasue i was cleaning in the kitchen and thats where her food was as well.

at teh moment sheis snoozing behnd mt couch - she has been for the past few hours - its too quiet lol

4. Vic81

Vic81 PetForums Member

Timmy does this when I'm on the computer, if I make a fuss of him he stops and then is happy again for about 10 mins lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice