Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

senile cat!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by GSDlover4ever, Aug 13, 2009.

1. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

well i grew up with cats, i will be 20 now and one of the cats that i have had since she was a kitten is still here - she is 15/16 years old.
    she was the family cat, i recently moved out and took my dog with me - however Lucky kept getting injured by other animals outside as she had several cuts on her neck, this year.

she went to the vet and he said that it was to do with her immune system, she had an over active thyroid and she had to operation to sort that.

i also recently found out she was deaf.

she could scratch this until it bled and was red raw - i put breathable bandages on her which worked for a little while and my mum tried to keep her in - however she would escape.

well as i live in a flat i decided it would be best if she stayed with me, she has always been an indoor and outdoor cat - but i thought she would like her home comforts and lots of TLC.

yesterday was the first time she stayed at mine, and she was great - i even allowed her to sleep in the bed with me :eek:

Well today is a different story
    i gave her some food, she ate some then walked into the hall and started calling me, as cats do - i walked out to see if she was okay. obviously i couldn't shout on her because she can’t hear me but as soon as she saw me she came running. she went into the kitchen as i did the dishes and did the same thing again!

lately she has been walking about the house calling me as if she is a bit worried.
    she is meowing constantly, she has actually gave me a soar head she is meowing that much.

Now every time i look at her she starts meowing
    She is loving sitting on my lap as a type - she is purring away :)

any advise for little old lucky?

2. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

pos feeling a little insecure and needs u more at the mo for reassurance, also the change of enviroment will have stressed her a bit adding to the feeling of anxiety.
    Pos try feliway diffuser and also if u take a cloth and rub it under her chin and side of cheeks then go round rubbing that scent on various things that may alleviate some of the anxiety.
    Cannot be that senile as she seems to be clever enough at getting u to do what she wants;) and at that age I would def let her do what she pleases:001_tt2:

3. GSDlover4ever

i think she is a bit insecure too, she started following me about when i was cleaning (dog at vets to get spayed - so keeping myself busy)
    i went out to post a letter, she doesn't know im back yet even though she is about a meter away from me - its quiet for me - don't know how long that will last! lol

i don't have a diffuser - do you know anywhere i could get one for a good price?

i tak eit their are a mixture of diffusers for dogs and cats?

i'll try the chin rubbing as well - thansk for that :)

4. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

the vets sell them and pos some of the bigger pet shops.
    u may get cheper ones online.
    the main thing with oldier is familierarity and routine. getting her into a reg routine quickley will help, feed at same place same time, groom same place same time etc etc. Like all old folk they like things to stay the same and dont cope well with upheaval unfortunaely life isnt like that, so we do what we can to make it easier for them.
    Good luck with ur girl being speyed, hope u have some nice chicken n rice in for her tea and some xtra tlc....bet the cat will want some as well;)

5. GSDlover4ever

oh i forgot all about getting her some goodies for when she comes home - i'm away to the shops now!

she is also getting a thing removed from her mouth - so i dont know if she will want to eat - actually second thoughs she loves her food :)

do you think she tuna would do?

i've got loads of that!

6. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

To be honest, if she's always been used to going outdoors she'll be unlikely to take to being kept indoors only now. As you've already found out after only one day, she's already stressed. Some cats can adapt, but at 15/16 I think its very unlikely and you could end up with a very unhappy cat.

The meowing could be due to the stress of the new environment, but it could also be simply because she's deaf - deaf cats quite often vocalise a lot. Another possibility is that she only had a partial thyroidectomy and she is hyperthryoid again, so I'd get her T4 levels checked again. :)

7. GSDlover4ever

The reason why I am keeping her indoors is because she keeps getting attacked by an animal - she obviously can't hear them since she is deaf. So for her safety and my conscious that the reason why she is staying in. :)

i also want her neck to get better as well - its healing and i don’t want it to get even more infected!

She has always been a vocal cat - but it’s a lot louder and more frequent than it use to me.

She has been sleeping and chilling behind my couch for the past few hours!

8. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

perhaps cats like dogs become louder when deaf as they do not realise what a noise they make. dogs have this monotone bark.
    Tuna without oil, ok..basically her first meal is to be bland as the anaethetic can make them a bit nausious. Again am sure ur cat will enjoy taste tasting ur dogs t to ensure it is of correct quality:001_tt2:

9. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Well you did ask for advice!

10. GSDlover4ever

i know it has only been 2 days but she is really settling in well - she hasn't onces meawed to go outside - which is quite a saprise :)

my bf came over and she was all over him like a rash demanding attention lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice