Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Selling to Pet Shops

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hannah and Reece, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Hannah and Reece

Hannah and Reece PetForums Newbie

post deleted

#1 Hannah and Reece, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  2. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

imo private advertisig is best , i dont breed or even own a rabbit ( i want one though)

3. frags

frags PetForums VIP

maybe read the comments to your post on the omg there here thread!
    i STRONGLY disagree with your reasons for doing this.
    1 never breed for profit
    2 never sell to pet shops!
    3 only breed pure breed rabbits and only if you know they are from a good line ie knowing at least 2-3 generations to know if there are any medical problems that run in the line or you risk breeding medical problems.
    4 i dont think a child should be involved in breeding of animals.

alyssa_liss likes this.
  4. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

DON'T take them to pet shops! They will live in crappy conditions and won't be very happy and they sell them to anyone and will make profit off something that they let happen.... selll a rabbit get 4 back, pretty good deal for them!

Vet the people yourself then you know they will be in happy homes and can make sure they have the right stuff to live in e.g. big enough cage etc....

I wouldn't mate them you don't know their history, any congenital diseases they may have, and your bunny will be welllllll to young to mate and will cause problems for her and could kill her at a young age!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I wholeheartedly agree.

Breeding any living creature is a huge commitment and requires a lot of time, effort and money. It should never be done for "fun" or for money, but to better and sustain a particular breed. Breeders spend substantial time researching the breeding process, and things can and do go very wrong.

Considering the amount of unwanted rabbits sitting in rescue centres, i see absolutely no reason to breed from an animal whos origins are unknown.

Petshops care about profit and nothing else. So many rabbits end up in tiny hutches, with no company, no stimulation and live miserable lives. All because people think they can make a pretty penny by using their does as breeding machines.

6. Hannah and Reece

Hannah and Reece PetForums Newbie

Post deleted

Laura

#6 Hannah and Reece, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  7. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

I am sorry but anyone breeding to supply pet shops is not doing it for the right reason.
    Nor is breeding bacause yo uhave two friendly rabbits and think they would have lovely babies.
    Nor is breeding to give others a chance to own lovely cute bunnies the right reason either.
    There are 1000s of rescues who can fill the places your baby rabbits will take.
    The only real correct reason for breeding any animal is for the purpose of improving the breed and strengthening a gene pool and as youhave no history on your rabbits this cannot be the reason.
    You may think and convince yourself you are doing this for the right reason but spend a week in a rescue centre and see the low side of so many people breeding and then make your decision.My guess is you would change you r mind.

8. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

I have to agree with the others here, i hate seeing animals in pet shops i always wonder what fate awaits them, i have even known brother and sister sold together now what is the outcome of that going to be? this brother and sister had four losts of kits before the family got bored and got rid of them all, quite a few kits died because they had things wrong with them and of those that survived they didnt live past two.

Your daughter wont make any pocket money after food etc if its just to have a bit of responsibility just having the bun will give her that, no need to breed.

I didnt get my latest two from a rescue simply because i came across my two in the process of looking, i fell in love and decided to have them even when i was told one MAY be pregant because they owner was sure they had to go and where would the kits of ended up? a litter of kits would of been a burden to a rescue and i wouldnt of wanted them in pet shops so although not from a rescue i still think of them as rescued in a way, there is no way on earth these kits are going to a pet shop or anywhere else come to that, they will stay here, the owner is still trying to get me to take another two adults one of whom has a phsyical problem, im thinking long and hard about this as i dont want to many, if the kits hadnt of been born i coudl of taken the other two but as they are here it will be my one and only chance to have kits and i shall treasure eevry moment, i ddint breed them and i certainly wont be selling them, id be to worried where they would end up.

woudl your daughter not get attached once they were born, or even you? could you accomodate them if you couldnt part with them?

Im intigued where abouts in the country there is a lack of rabbits for sale? very strange usually there are to many for homes.

I rescue ferrets and i see all to often what breeding can do especially by inexperienced people with unkown animals.

If she is already pregnant by her brother be prepared for something to be wrong with some of them, ive seen it before when i recently rescued a ferret who may have been caught by her brother she was whipped to the vets and spayed for the kits sake, fortunatly she wasnt pregnant but we couldnt of risked kits. How far along could she be as i do think like humans there shoudl be a cut off point fro terminations, if she is pregnant then its not becase you ahve bred her so best of luck but please dont sell them to pet shops. :)

9. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

Hmmm all posts deleted, i do hope they have had second thoughts and didnt think we were attacking, just offering good sound advice.

10. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Ive just come on here and i cant believe people think this is ok, judging from the no response and deleted posts its more a bad sign than good. :(

11. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i think she realised that people are not happy with breeding for pet shops.
    she did thank me in her 2nd reply although she thought i was quite harsh, i think i was being tame :D

12. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

I would advise teaching the child that children get bored very easily, and very quickly and that an animal is not a toy!

kellyrich likes this.
  13. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Green blobby coming your way!! Totally agree!! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice