Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Selling Dog Tags...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 24, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I bought Dave a new collar yesterday.. It's tan leather with studs and has a name plate. I took it into the key cutting bit to see about getting his name put on it... It was going to cost me £5.95!! :eek: Just for them to engrave 4 letters onto a collar! No way.

So I said I'll do it on my own, I have looked on ebay at engraving pens, then it got me looking at a load of blank tags.
    Basically the pen is £13, and tags you can get anything from 10 for a few quid, to 500 mixed shape ones for £30 and 1000 for £50.

Does anyone think it might be worthwhile thing to get into?

x

2. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Have a look round the DIY shops you may get an engraving tool cheaper. I got mine several years ago from woolworths I know it closed now but I paid about £8 for mine I use it with a sanding stone to do the dogs claws it works just as well as a dremal.

If you can do it well then it would be worth going into if you sell them cheaper than the shops when you add the postage on to the price.

3. Colsy

Colsy Banned

Here us dog/cat owners will always need tags.
    Think you should sell them on ebay or start a little website perhaps.

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i honestly dont want to put down your idea.

but the people doing it now have engraving machines that can use different fonts, sizes, etc.
    if you want to do it have a good look round other peoples sites first, see if you can offer a similar or better range and quality.

freehand is no good , it is just a vibrasting tool and it looks like a squiggly line.i go to a site that has great tags and real cheap too.

i will be ordering a tan leather collar laser etched with the details i want. no tags at all.

cheaper than the price of the 2 tags i have now.

you will have to sell hundreds a week to make money.

i am not being cruel just brutally honest hun.

there are millions of tag people on ebay and collars and leads and they are established and trading.

now if you can come up with sometging different or a unique twist on an existing product that may be a winner.

think long and hard before throwing money at it, i'd hate to see you lose cash.

#4 davehyde, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice