Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seems too good to be true! (sorry it's long)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by MySugar, Aug 1, 2009.

1. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Teddy came home with us on Thursday evening. I only allow the cats in the downstairs area of the house so they were seperated by glass panelled wooden doors. Pepper in the lounge with her food, litter tray and toys and Teddy in the kitchen/diner with litter tray, food and toys (and water in each of course!).
    I brought Pepper a new scratching post and after she'd spotted Teddy I took it in to her and she loved it.
    They saw each other a few times through the doors, Pepper seeming more interested than Teddy. They could smell each other and hear each other too.
    Yesterday I opened one of the doors seperating them and they met. There was a bit of smelling each other and a little bit of hissing. I let Teddy roam around the lounge, checking it out and smelling while Pepper stalked him!
    Then I put Teddy back in the kitchen.
    Later in the day I bought some ham and let them roam together again, giving ham when they were being good. Teddy tucked in but Pepper was too nervous and busy checking him out to eat! There was some more hissing but then they just avoided each other.
    Over night I seperated them again, just incase.
    Today...they have sniffed each others noses, been right next to each other and both doors are wide open...no hissing so far!!
    Could this be the beginnings of them getting to know each other and getting on? Or am I getting excited prematurely?
    It seems too good to be true.
    And although I'm happy with things so far I do feel sorry for poor Teddy because he is an outdoors cat and has been hauled from his home, being kept inside and having to deal with being stalked by Pepper. He keeps moaning to go outside and has tried escaping out a window! Poor thing has weeks to go yet, how many would be recommended?

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

So far so good!

I would keep him in for a few weeks yet, perhaps 3/4 ? Then (old wives tale) butter on his paws then let him out for a wee while to start with (just before dinner time) and I am sure he will be fine.

Our outdoor cat, Tilly escaped outside after 2 weeks after we moved house, she didn't go too far though, she just moved into the shed for a while. Dhe didn't like moving house.

Do have any pics of Teddy ?

#2 Milly22, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  3. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Iknow rescues reccomend 4 weeks min. I would keep mine in for 4 weeks. sounds like yours will be fine together.

4. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

At least Tilly made it to two weeks Mellowma. Our Thomas escaped after one day, out of an upstairs window!

A few weeks and he should be fine :D

5. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Our cat still does this. How dangerous, I know cats can jump a fair height but its a 2 up 2 down! :eek:

6. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Thank you. I was thinking about four weeks or at a push 3 if he got desperate enough. I may try the butter thing, anything to make sure he comes back.

Poor Tilly. It makes me wonder why some people don't see animals as intelligent or having feeling or understanding when things that can upset and affect us and affects them too. Lucky really that she only moved into the shed, although still upsetting i'm sure.

Teddy: (i'll post some of him at home when I find my camera lead)

http://bournemouth.gumtree.com/post...-cebcf3273f08bfe83db4be3aa3197e79.__big__.jpg

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Ah yes, I remember the Mystery Cross! :D Be careful with him, he is lovely. I am very suspicious with people and "lovely cats"! :)

8. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Thank you. Yes it seems they will be, i'm really hoping so. Pepper tried playing with Teddy earlier which he didn't like, some swatting went on but I didn't hear any hissing. He then just ran off onto his favourite chair (he has a fav chair already!) and Pepper played with other things. So that went well :)

9. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Blimey that's a bit scary! I take it he was ok and came back ok?

10. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

Hehe, yep that's the one :D

Thank you, he really is lovely. He is very gracefull and calm. He talks too, I swear he says hello! (I'm not crazy, honest ;))

Suspicious of people with "lovely cats"? I'm not following...:blushing:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice