Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Seeking advice about introducing a cat to a larger property with stairs.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sante, Oct 11, 2013.

1. sante

sante PetForums Senior

I will be doing a housing association exchange with someone in 3 weeks time, I am getting a 17th floor duplex flat which is double the size of my ground floor flat. My question is this, Rosie my 4 year old indoor cat has never experienced having to climb up and down stairs or even had so much space to play in, would it be wise to introduce a room at a time to her slowly or just let her explore at her own pace? How would I introduce the stairs to her or should I just leave her to figure things out herself?

Thanks for any advice given.

2. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

Would be my advice. Cats are pretty smart, and agile too. ;)

3. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I am sure she will work out where your nice comfy bed is and be there before you are :D

4. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

A carpeted staircase is a fantastic place to play too. Ping pong ball catch and chase up and down stairs is great fun and a great workout.

I mean for the cat... :eek:

5. sante

sante PetForums Senior

Unfortunately the stairs aren't carpeted only the lounge and two bedrooms are. But I am sure Rosie will have fun on the stairs (Picture of stairs enclosed - yes a bit of cleaning needs to be done e.g. getting the paint off the stairs)

Attached Files:

6. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

Oh right. Now I see why you were asking about introducing her to the stairs. That looks like a lot more of a hazard than a regular closed tread staircase.

If it were me I'd definitely get some cheap self-adhesive carpet tiles and carpet the treads so she has some grip going up and down. For safety and comfort. It would be nasty to slip and go through! :eek: If she can grip with her claws on the treads she'll be much safer and enjoy them a lot more.

The ping pong ball game won't work very well :eek::rolleyes:, but she'll have fun playing lookout and peering through between the treads.

Lucky Rosie to be getting a split-level place to live! Bet she'll love it! :)

7. sante

sante PetForums Senior

I was thinking about doing this or perhaps putting a back on the stairs and the carpet it (I know it will be hard work but I am not planning to move again :)).

8. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

Fully closing the treads wouldn't be my choice, I think open stairs are stylish, and the light is nice. :) So long as they're carpeted and grippable by claw I think a cat would be fine to cope.

9. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

oh she'll be fine. In fact it should be of more benefit to her as she can exercise herself up and down the stairs.

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

ooh, open plan stairs....or as my cats like to call them a huge floor to ceiling cat tree which we let the human use on occasion
    Please don't think about enclosing the treads as that will spoil most of her fun playing peekaboo and hideout and don't even worry about carpeting them.....I have open plan wooden treads and the cats all cope perfectly well with them (cat paw pads are naturally non slip)
    [​IMG]

#10 Paddypaws, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  11. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Keep them open! Just remember to duck when you walk underneath them as cats find them irresistible and "play leopard in a tree" with you as you walk innocently past.

[​IMG]

#11 Jonescat, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  12. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

oh yes, i forgot to warn about that little game.

13. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

love your new flat :D, i missed this before but couldnt resist having a sneaky peak . best wishes for your first morning in your new home:) youre not far from me:)

14. sante

sante PetForums Senior

Thank you.

Well this morning started at 2:58am. Rosie woke up after having 5 hours sleep and jumped into the bedroom window and then jumped on the floor then went under my bedside table pushed a draw out (she is very clever) then paced around the room and then at 3:35am we went down stairs. Where guess what? Rosie explored, explored again and then she went up and down stairs all by herself 5 times. Had breakfast, done her toilet business, had a snooze with me for 1 hour at 10:30am and is keen to explore what she has already explored. Do you think she is happy :D? She loves the windows btw.

15. pipje

pipje PetForums VIP

I would think she would figure it out herself. Not so long ago, I moved from an apartment (one floor) to a house with 2 floors. The stairs are also the open sort.

I let the cats explore it themselves and they absolutely love the stairs. I was quite worried about my mentally and physically handicapped kitten at first and was initially glad that she didn't seem interested. A week later, she suddenly ' got it' and started going up and down. Until now, she has yet to have a proper accident on the stairs (even during her seizures). The other 2 'normal' ones were fine immediately (one took to it asap, the other would walk up and down quite slowly but now enjoys racing up/down). I guess my point is, if my handicapped little girl can do it, I'm sure most normal cats can too:D

16. sante

sante PetForums Senior

This is what happend yesterday (see page 2 I think it is) http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-chat/334239-very-upset-sorry-not-really-cat-related-2.html

Thanks

17. sante

sante PetForums Senior

Burrrr. I have no hot water or heating. Poor Rosie is lying next to me snuggled up trying to keep warm and I wrapped up in a duvet. Does anyone know if my new landlord will fix this as I done a mutual exchange?

18. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Have you looked at the boiler? Could be just that it needs a simple turn off/turn on with any luck. I don't know about landlords and mutual exchanges though.

19. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

i think its down to the landlord but not sure give them a ring, you could pay out and then fix, but i think give them a ring , if its gas then they usually have to get british gas in for safety reasons:eek: good excuse for a duvet /cat day though:) but it's no fun when you wanna be doing stuff around the place:(

20. sante

sante PetForums Senior

it's communal heating and hot water, I asked around and no one else is experiencing any problems :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice